I need a little Help with White Hall !!!

Good Morning all,

I'm rigging the boat for salmon fishing, Yet I've never fished WHITE HALL, Need some help with the structure and Good Fishing spots off of White Halls Coast Line, Does anyone have any advice o good locations of Structure where the Kings might be???

I'm studying a Chart and there's a deffinent shelf drop off near 145FOW and 235FOW straight out from the Piers, So What else does anyone else know about this fishing Area, any help would be wonderful?

Edited by Boltman
More Info

We have always done very good from south of Whitehall. The area in front of Duck Lake always seams to hold fish. Spring fish Shallow (60-70') and deeper in the summer 100-150')

Edited by Nailer

This is good, This is the information I need, yet I'm hungry for more info...according to Keating.... Mr.King Salmon likes structure so Where's the structure I'm going to look at the chart today to see what is exactly SOUTH of the pier... thanks Nailer....

Watch out for the nets to the South!

Ditto on the depths that nailer said. There is a lot of shallower structure around Whitehall.

I ran up there from Muskegon in the dark and set up in between the nets by mistake. I thought I was North of the last net, but there was one more. Good thing I did a West troll in the dark instead of a North or South troll.

One thing to note about Keating. The areas he fishes are flat with a very gradual drop off. Whitehall has a nice drop off.

Watch the thermocline and you will find the fish away from structure.

Now that I have confused you with what the book said.....There are always fish around the nets(they are a structure). The trick is being able to fish around the nets without getting tangled. ;)

Watch out for the nets to the South!

Ditto on the depths that nailer said. There is a lot of shallower structure around Whitehall.

I ran up there from Muskegon in the dark and set up in between the nets by mistake. I thought I was North of the last net, but there was one more. Good thing I did a West troll in the dark instead of a North or South troll.

One thing to note about Keating. The areas he fishes are flat with a very gradual drop off. Whitehall has a nice drop off.

Watch the thermocline and you will find the fish away from structure.

Now that I have confused you with what the book said.....There are always fish around the nets(they are a structure). The trick is being able to fish around the nets without getting tangled. ;)

Very good stuff there Mike.

Keating fishes out of Chicago, so not everything in his book applies to us.

Don't get me wrong, his book is top notch (one of the best out there).

Pay attention to what he says about color selection and depth.

Chromes near the top, greens in the middle, and blues deep. Glows at first and last light.

Start early summer with spoons, then late July through August use Flashers, flies, and some J plugs.

Mike You didn't confuse me... I know Keating fishes in what we call the Flatlands...

I'm going to map out the structure after we've gotten over it with the Chartplotter, but until then I'm going Scuba Diving at "The Nets" Why not the fish will be right there waiting for me...stuck in the Nets.....I think it's a great idea...

Oh and Thanks for the advice Mike...Glad you found your trailer...

I've just been watching on your site while I'm not able to fish.. but I will have pics of Riggers on Our Baby soon....It'll be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Mike You didn't confuse me... I know Keating fishes in what we call the Flatlands...

I'm going to map out the structure after we've gotten over it with the Chartplotter, but until then I'm going Scuba Diving at "The Nets" Why not the fish will be right there waiting for me...stuck in the Nets.....I think it's a great idea...

Oh and Thanks for the advice Mike...Glad you found your trailer...

I've just been watching on your site while I'm not able to fish.. but I will have pics of Riggers on Our Baby soon....It'll be awesome.

Be careful around the nets. Some of them are hardly visible underwater. Last year there were a couple divers that got tangled in them and they had to be cut free. there is also long lengths on mon trailing off them from guys that tangle into them and man you cant see that stuff. And it is unbelievable how strong it is underwater. I got tangled on the Kueka a few years back and if i didn't have a tank banger my buddy i was with didn't notice i disappered. It tangled on my tank valve and then with fighting with that i tangled myself more with the dive flag line. He had to cut me free of that one. If you do go make sure you have good dive shears, and a buddy that pays attention.

Be careful around the nets. Some of them are hardly visible underwater. Last year there were a couple divers that got tangled in them and they had to be cut free. there is also long lengths on mon trailing off them from guys that tangle into them and man you cant see that stuff. And it is unbelievable how strong it is underwater. I got tangled on the Kueka a few years back and if i didn't have a tank banger my buddy i was with didn't notice i disappered. It tangled on my tank valve and then with fighting with that i tangled myself more with the dive flag line. He had to cut me free of that one. If you do go make sure you have good dive shears, and a buddy that pays attention.

:eek::help::smileeek:

A little to the north of the pier head,straight out from the first dune in 65 FOW is a ship wreck. Some times it is marked with a bouy and some times it is not. I found it the first year I fished out of White Lake, it was not marked and one of my riggers got caught on a rouge net that was tangled around the shipwreck. Lost a cannon ball and two spoons that day.

It does occasionally hold fish. If I fish around it now, I only use dipsies and lead, no riggers.

Also Northwest of the pier in 100 to 130 FOW always produced for me.