Treble Hook Removal

ekbelt

Had to do that to my brother steelie fishing a few winters ago. He was casting a spinner got it hung in a tree gave it a tug the lure came at his face and he threw his hand up and i heard it slap his hand and then the cursing started. He was going to cut off the hook and drive to ER. I remebered seeing that done so i tried it. It really works and pops the hook right out. just have to remember to push down on the eye on the hook to release the barb.

Unfortunatly tho this trick does not allways work as easily as these men had made it seem. Least on the few attempts of one instance a few years ago by me.

We were enjoying a weekend up north at our cottage and my son had brought one of his friends along. Well it was late at night and I had just introduced them to fishing topwater along the docks at night before i headed to take a shower. It wasnt long and i could hear Cameron screaming Dad, Dad come quick. I run outside to where the boys were and his friend is on the neighbors dock with the other half his body thrown over into the neighbors boat and crying and screaming. I go down and look to see whats going on was he had casted into the neighbors boat, got it stuck and tried to reach in to remove it but had gotten one of the trebles in his finger and the other trebles still attached to the boat..ok so pull the hooks out of the boat and go inside and attempt the "trick" shown above on this kid who is nervous,jumpy,scared and crying. First attempt did not work and i put the poor kid in more pain and screaming more. Second attempt found the "other" treble hook from the lure now inserted deep into my thumb. So we are attached at the hands by a double treble popper lure. I pull the hook out from my thumb with pliers cause well it didnt take long to realize the rope and pull "trick" was not gonna work here. In summary I ended up having to drive him hours away to the nearest er/hospital at around midnight. Doc numbs his thumb quick pull with pliers and all is back to normal...Then soon as we get back home and i mean before i had even gotten out of the car this was now around 3am, both kids simultaniously ask me if its "ok" they go fishing!

And This is only how big those hooks were..

0620000150.jpg

A couple of years ago during the winter months I was onboard going through some gear. My boat was in the garage. I knelt on a small treble hook. I had a new pair of blue jeans on and didn't want to ruin them. I cut off the one portion of the treble that was sticking me in the knee and went in the house. I took off the jeans and put on a pair of shorts and called my neighbor over. He comes over and brings his step daughter who is an RN. I had everything ready and they were both trying to talk me into going to the ER. I had a loop made with 80# mono and I put a twist on the piece of hook, as if to bring the hook out, with a pair of needle nose pliers. With the mono over the hook I told George to pop it out with authority, and I didn't want to know when he was going to do it. The RN got a little green and I thought I may have to take her to the ER.:lol: Sharp Hook. It didn't hurt going in or coming out. I didn't realize whiskey was required or I would have had a couple of shots. Probably should have poured half a bottle of whiskey over the wound like in the movies.

Mikey, I know it's a lot different when ya have kids involved. You were lucky their mothers weren't there.

Mikey, I know it's a lot different when ya have kids involved. You were lucky their mothers weren't there.

Cha that was another thing. I was hoping I could just bring him to the er pay whatever it cost and be on our merry without any mom drama being involved. But they just had to have her permission before they could help the poor guy, and i had to make the after midnight call to this kids mom and explain the haps. Luckily she was very cool about it, almost to cool and not what i was expecting at all. She invited me out for drinks a week after actually.

The other thing that i was scared of for a lil bit was having to drive my car to the hosp. with my left hand attached to this kids right hand and when we walk in the main question is gona be "how did this happen?"...Was not looking forward to trying to answer that.

I was excited at first to finally be able to have the chance to try this new hook removal "trick" i had learned and seen done so effortlessly.