gimbal mounts

Getting set up with down riggers and plan to mount the Big Jon captain pac manuals on gimbal mounts to slip into my flush mount rod holders. The attwood rod holders have a depth of 9" to the pin. So I'm assuming I'll need 9" gimbal mounts. I have not seen any 9" big jon gimbal mounts but there are a ton of 9" cannon gimbal mounts. Does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same for Big Jon and Cannon. Thanks for your reply's.

:(I have cannon riggers and Big Jon rod holders and they are not the same pattern. Also, depending on the age of your boat, make sure the angle is correct. I was told that the older boats have a different gimble mount angle than most of the newer boats/products.

I had a boat with 2 flush mount rod holders on each gunwale..I had the Berts gimbal mounts. They're drilled to work with about any downrigger, rodholder etc...I had BJ downriggers on each side and double pedestal BJ rod holders in the other 2 gimbal mounts---worked great, on/off in seconds!

Hard to find used ones, new they go for around $60 each.

My comment would be to make sure the rod holders are strong enough to handle the rigger. I had a dockmate a few years ago that used a gimbal setup and broke two rod holders at the joint between the surface plate and the down tube on the rod holder. Just something to keep an eye on.

Frank from Calumet Marine may have some used Big Jon gimbal mounts he can give you a deal on...

Big Jon and Cannon do not use the same mounts although i had some custom adapters made since i already had the gimals and cannons to make it work.

Thanks for all the replys. You guys are a great resource to get a question answered. I ended up going with the Big Jon 12" gimbals. When they arrive I plan to cut down to size and mill a new slot at the bottom. I've got 9" to the pin in the rod holder so I'm looking at cutting them at 10" and milling a one inch long slot.