#1 Dipsy Diver Depth Wire/Braid

Im setting up two more dipsy rods for this season and these will be wire rods. I,ve always ran braid in the past and am curious on depth's of wire verses braid. Is there a chart available for wire/braid? I know the LJ chart is setup for mono. I will still have two braid dipsys just want to add some wire..also what type of knot do you use for wire?

Not sure where you can find a wire versus braid chart. Lots of conditions cause the depth to vary. To the point where sometime the best thing to do is let them out 100 or 150 ft and troll towards shore til they tap bottom. As far as knots. I put 2 overhand knots. 1 about a half an inch away from the other.

Here's a series of pics i posted on the LOTSA Website several years ago showing the knot most of us use, it's simply and half hitch and an overhand knot. I've had that knot go 3+ seasons on Lake Ontario Kings and not had to re-tie.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

Tim

Exactly why i love this site! :thumb: You guys are so helpfull..Great job on the directions/pictures. Thank You

Here's a series of pics i posted on the LOTSA Website several years ago showing the knot most of us use, it's simply and half hitch and an overhand knot. I've had that knot go 3+ seasons on Lake Ontario Kings and not had to re-tie.

Tim

I use the same knot, also add a bead. Acts as an autostop and keeps the swivel out of your rollers.

The dive curves for braid and wire are pretty close but in the deeper end of the dive curve the braid flattens out a little more, if I remember correctly. If I remember I will grab my charts next time I get back out by the boat and I will send you a couple pics.

I've found my braided line and wire line dipseys run about the same depth too. However, my wire lines out perform the braided versions. Not sure why, but they do.

This is just my theory but I think there must be some vibrations or hum similar to the whine or hum that the wind produces blowing through the taunt downrigger cables.

A few years back everyone was hell bent on replacing the downrigger cables with 150-200# braid. One of their reasons was the rigger wire whine. At about the same time wire divers were getting popular. I think every method and variations in equipment have their day. Some times fish are spooky and other times very aggressive. Heck I have caught walleye in the prop wash on harness with out bait. The rod just took a fish and was waiting to be baited and sent out. :)

I agree Frank. I've had days where the braided dipseys out performed, fewer days than wire, but it's happened. I usually start the morning with a braided dipsey on one side and a wire on the other side and see which one starts working. Then switch over.

I agree Frank. I've had days where the braided dipseys out performed, fewer days than wire, but it's happened. I usually start the morning with a braided dipsey on one side and a wire on the other side and see which one starts working. Then switch over.

Bob, That's the find out what they want and give em lots of it method.:thumb:

Tim

This is the knot that works best with wire and it has never come loose on me.

From the Big Water edition Precision trolling book that i have thats about 5 yrs.old it shows a 1# dipsey with ring with wire (82 feet down @ 210 feet of line out) going about 2 feet deeper than braid (80 feet down @ 210 feet of line out) at the max. depths they illustrate per feet of line out on a zero setting. Now from what im looking at BIG picture and roughly, Wire reaches 2' to about 5' feet deeper per feet of line out on the various dipsey settings.

Question 1 i have of maybe many...

If you put the same hot presentation you had on the wire dipsey onto a braid line dipsey at the same depths and settings it should work just as good. Yes?, No?, and Why?

from what i have read...30 lb seven strand wire , size 1 luhr jensens w/ a standard ring, set at 1 1/2....pretty much the same...but they start to flatten out around 150' loc ...more like 65 down...till around 200' loc you're at 80ish, after that, not much difference, but at least you're away from the boat further