Depth/Temp Probes

I've got the new FishHawk x4 on one boat and a subtroll on the other.. Hands down i prefer the Fish Hawk over the Subtroll. It's just an overall nicer unit. It seems more trustworthy, as well as not having a coated cable.

I have been happy with my sub troll that is 5 yrs old now. I opted for the coated cable route instead of adding another transducer with the fishhawk. Price was the other reason. I have been around depthraiders and like them also. The size of the monitor is one big difference between units. The subtroll is larger. Any one of them would be a good addition.

I bought a sub-troll 5 years ago!! Loved it no problems at all!!! I got a new boat and decided to up grade to the fish hawk X 4 and ran it 5 times and had one problem with it and I called fish hawk and they took care of the problem asap!!!!! So far to me they are even up !!

Will be adding a depth/temp probe to the boat this year, whats everybody running? Thinking about a fish hawk or sub-troll right now.

I have both Sub-troll, and the X-4 on my boat, and although both are nice units, I'm partial to the X-4. Very sweet unit. Updates are fast, and display is easily viewable from the back of the boat. The sub-troll is a little harder to see.

I have the X4 (came with the boat). Great unit, easy to read, and found out they have awesome customer service. Had the bracket for the transducer break on the 4th of July (Mon)..sent an e-mail late afternoon, and got a reply back that same day! Three days later the bracket arrived no charge!:thumb:

For me, if I buy one, I'll be getting the FishHawk X-4. The selling point for me is the no coated cable. I have a lot of newbs fishing with me, and I do have the cables jump off the track every once in a while from swingin the arms out, lifting the ball out of the water, and guys not paying attention.

I have the Depth Raider , wouldn't fish without a probe. As long as you have one . Most differences are due to personal preferences. After you fish with one you will ask yourself how you ever did without one. Most of the guys I know on this side of the pond have the Depth Raider.(Might be because it a local company)

I think it depends on how much you will be using your boat i have talked to 3 guys that run the coated cable they all said blowback is a issue but a heaver ball fixed most of it .

Not one said thay have had to replace the cable One was goign on year 5 with t he same set up.

One did say he lost the probe but i belive that might have been his fault the way he was talking

I think if your out all the time the investment into the fish hawk is worth it however for weekend warriors im not sold on the extra funds

Best of luck

strik

I tend to fish a little more than just a weekend warrior and do not find the coated cable to be a significant issue at all. Blow back is not a problem i have encountered and yes could be combated with a heavier weight. The smaller probes such as the Depth Raider and X4 also help with blow back. I do have to cut back the coated cable at the probe a few times a season, usually due to factors caused by me or just extensive use. I changed the cable last season just because. Prior to that the original cable lasted over three years including swapping from one down rigger to another.

Yup, the coated cable issue is WAY overblown IMO and personally I'd rather have that, than drill additional holes in my transom below the waterline to install yet another transducer.

I finally replaced the coated cable for my depth raider last season after getting 6 years out of the original one. Had it down over 160 feet last season with no loss of signal.

I had an old Fish Hawk 840 and put up with that unstable POS for years before I finally scrapped that in favor of the much superior Depth Raider.

Tim

Yup, the coated cable issue is WAY overblown IMO and personally I'd rather have that, than drill additional holes in my transom below the waterline to install yet another transducer.

I finally replaced the coated cable for my depth raider last season after getting 6 years out of the original one. Had it down over 160 feet last season with no loss of signal.

I had an old Fish Hawk 840 and put up with that unstable POS for years before I finally scrapped that in favor of the much superior Depth Raider.

Tim

My fish hawk is older and very unstable UNTIL I got the newer probe. Haven't had a hiccup since.