I know autopilots have been talked about but?

Does anybody have any good or bad reviews on the smartpilot x5 from rarmarine since they redone the older sport pilots. Not wanting to spend the money on the hyd steering then the autopilot. I have a few friends with the older sport pilot on the cable steering and they said they work good until it gets a little wavey (2 to 3 footers or more). Not a big deal there as most of the time the people I fish with can't handle anything more than 2'. If they are more than somone has to drive I guess. Any imput from you guys on the smartpilots?

I think the thing to keep in mind that no matter what autopilot a person uses, it will have limitations based on engine rpm at trolling speed. There will be days that the wind and or waves will force you to steer manually. I have twin screws, and when it starts getting rough I will fire up the second motor to help keep the boat squared up. If it gets to the point that both screws can't keep the boat straight at trolling speed, it's time to go in.

I purchased the X5 this summer and feel it handles my 27' twin screw Tiara Continental just fine- with 3-4 footer I often run both motors and run sea anchors which help stabalize the boat- It's loud and takes some time to get use to, especially while trolling- but with for the price and ease of installation I'm happy- plus I got the wireless remote and I can troll with my wife and not argue :-)

I installed one a couple of years ago. I really like it. The caveat is that I am on my 3rd unit. The clutch keeps going out. They have been great about replacing them but it's a pain to swap it out and not have it when you want it. I wouldn't go without an AP again though.

I also got an x5 last year and I don't know how I fished without one. Here are two items to consider...

1. Self Installation will save you money BUT some companies now require a certified installer or the warranty is void.

2. I bought mine from West Marine for $1600 because everyone else was back ordered and they got it there the quickest. I also purchased the extended warranty. Should something happen to the unit Raymarine requires you to send the unit to them, with the extended warranty West Marine sends a tech to me.

The unit can be a little noisy but it handled four foot swells when I needed it. Runs great at all speeds as well. It's an awesome unit and I only regret not buying it sooner.

On my boat I ran a kicker so the auto pilot was able to steer the kicker which is hooked up to the I/O with an EZ Steer with the main engine off.

I installed one a couple of years ago. I really like it. The caveat is that I am on my 3rd unit. The clutch keeps going out. They have been great about replacing them but it's a pain to swap it out and not have it when you want it. I wouldn't go without an AP again though.

Same here but I'm on my 4th one. They supposedly have the issue fixed though. My biggest complaints are that it's noisy and it makes the boat hard to steer manually. Otherwise, it works great in most any conditions.