Rod Holder Tree vs. Pedestal Holder

You can run planer rods off a Pedestal holder, but it's hard runing divers off a tree. For your boat the pedestal 3 rod holder is the way to go.

You may want a tree later.

Its nice when running planer rods form a holder to be able to use the duel axis holders. Ie; Traxstech, or Canon.

I like trees for boards. It gets your rods forward and stacked out of the fish catching area. I have run Dipseys from the bottom tree holder but mine are custom and supported top and bottom. If you plan on running 3 or more boards a side then by all means go with trees and a single quality rod holder for a Dipsey on both sides. Everyone likes what they like. Your best bet would be to fish with someone else on a similar size boat before rigging yours.

I had the same question with my boat and ended up going with the 3 spot pedestal holder. I simply don't have the room to put rods anywhere when I'm not fishing (motoring in and out) and the trees aren't very good at holding stationary rods.

I have run boats both ways. I currently run my boards of of my radar arch similar to a tree set up. I prefer this set up, seems to spread things out better. One down side is I can not always see all my rods when i'm at the helm. either way works fine, just personal preference really.

Have an 18' boat and opted for the 3 spot pedestal's as well. It works well.

Maybe someday I'll add tree's if I come across a good deal but for now the pedestals work just fine. Not even sure we need more rod holders, I have 4 on each rigger, 3 for the pedestals and a single in the middle for a grand total of 15---plus rod holder storage up front for another 4 (19 if you include those).

before the accident i rigged the boat as below

P3180254.jpg

P3180253-1.jpg

P3180255.jpg

i got to use it once and i loved it!!

since then i have added another rod holder to the pedastal for a double,

i can fit three rods in the tree, one straight up and two off the side, thing only thing i wish i woulda done was a bit more verticle with the tree

even though i'll probably typically run 9, I am confident i can run 12 lines easily, plus i have options if it is a dispy bite, i can pull a board and run another dipsy. or vice versa if a board bite is hot

We have 7 along the gunnel of the boat and three up top like trees and like the ones gunnel more than the ones up top. The reason for that is, i run the back by my self and i dont wanna have to run all over if fish are going crazy, very easy to to run 2 divers and 3 boards per side .

I run both trees and rod holders. I just installed the trees in my boat this year and wish I had them in my boat all along. They are a great way to keep all of your planner boards seperated. They work very good on smaller boats like mine. I run them in tracks with a couple more rod holders for my dipsey divers.

Here is a photo.

rod_holders.jpg