Downrigger Maintenance

I just purchased two used Cannon 10A downriggers for a very reasonable price. I will need to replace the booms, pulley assemblies, and the boots for the switches. I have looked online and really do not want to spend $70 for an extendable boom. I would like a boom that measures 36". Does anyone know where I can get two for a fair price? Also, I want to clean and grease everything that I can. Does anyone know what type of grease and where or if I could find a manual for such a purpose?

Thank to all for helping a rookie out.

My reasonable price is adding up to not so reasonable. Has anyone had experience rewiring the motors on a Cannon Mag 10A? I have searched for help online but can't seem to get anywhere. I am not worried about the warranty because it seems that the motor housing was previously removed. I am already too invested (new booms, rod holders, switches, circuit breakers, and boots) to scrap them. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. The downriggers both work but the power cable looks old and is badly crimped.

Bradley, where are you located. I haven't worked specifically on Cannons, but I have completely torn my Walkers down and I have a lot of general electrical/mechanical experience. If you are in the West Michigan area I would be willing to take a look at them.

I have worked on my older Cannons and anyone with basic electrical skills wouldn't have any difficulties with them. There are Cannon repair place in Muskegon and one near Algonac for parts. These motors are simple DC motors controlled by a DPDT switch. Here is a link that shows the wiring for a common DPDT reversing type switch. I hope this helps you.

http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?12

• 2 weeks later...

I am throwing in the towel. The downriggers work but not sure if I want electrics anymore. I dumped over $325 into them by buying 2 new telescoping booms, 2 new switches, 2 new breakers, 4 new boots, 2 new power cables, 6 new rod holders. If you were to have your choice between new Big Jon Silver Packs or Cannon Unitroll 10's which would you choose? Why? Thanks.

if you,ll start watching big jon downriggers on ebay, they start selling pretty good right about now. i got 2 brand new big jon pro tournaments last year about this time for 525.00 for the pair. or you can contact tony at [email protected] for his best prices. and sonetimes he will have a good set of used big jons at a great price. but big jon makes a solid rigger at a good price. and i used manuals forever and went to electric 2 years ago. and i kicked my butt for not switching alot sooner. you,ll be much happier with electrics. but get some that works to start with. dont start with some thats already worn out. you can get good used ones and still not spend that much. but good luck whatever you do.

sherman

riggers have all gone thru a lot of evolution the last decade or two

the new cannon stx desighn is slick lot of the problems eliminated mag tens usally sell for around 519 brand new for a lifetime rigger is a good price

the old big johns are nice easy to find parts and new motors when you need them

The new vectors look to me to be the new top of the line for us in the great lakes not the most expesive either but still 950 is a tuff nut to crack

The unitrols are the best manuals i would say for a manual rigger

good luck the first thing i thought of when i first seen this post

" I hope it dont turn out the same way it did for me when i tryed to bering a old electric back from the dead i my case i would have been money ahead throwing it away i spent more time and money fixing would have been a lot cheaper faster and less agrivation to buy a new one "

I think my best bet is to try and sell them for what I have into them or at least close to it. They worked when I bought them but I wanted to replace some of the parts that looked weathered. In hindsight I should have just bought the longer booms and used them for a few years. I had the itch to buy downriggers but should have figured out what I really wanted first.