VSR - Voltage Sensing Relay

ekbelt

Anyone ever setup or use a VSR - voltage sensing relay? Sounds like its the newest version of a battery isolator but the nice thing is it doesnt draw voltage.

http://www.bepmarine.com/home-mainmenu-8/product-269/125-amp-voltage-sensitive-relay-vsr-

I want to set one up between the cranking / house battery so I don't have to worry about charging the house battery at all next year.

Sounds like it would work. The only potential issue I would see with it is that it will be "charging" the house battery whenever the main engine is running. I use my second battery to power all of my electronics, most of which say to run on a completely separate battery to eliminate interference from the motor ignition system. I have a manual switch that I use so I can charge the second battery while under power, but disengage it while fishing. Hopefully Frank will chime in so that we get a positive answer.

Sounds like it would work. The only potential issue I would see with it is that it will be "charging" the house battery whenever the main engine is running. I use my second battery to power all of my electronics, most of which say to run on a completely separate battery to eliminate interference from the motor ignition system. I have a manual switch that I use so I can charge the second battery while under power, but disengage it while fishing. Hopefully Frank will chime in so that we get a positive answer.

I have run with one battery that the electronics and everything else on the boat was hooked to. There is usually no problems with the electronics if they are hooked directly to the battery. If electronics are hooked to the ignition wiring that is where problems escalate. One battery or two, things have to be wired correctly. The VSR sounds like a very good option to have. It prioritizes the starting battery and gives the other battery what it can. Maybe the other Frank will chime in.

I used them on just about every boat that we rigged at Calumet Marine. I used the pre-assembled panel which made installation really simple and clean looking. The panel that replaces your battery switch is about $150.

I put 2 battery's in 1 starting battery for the motors and one deep cycle for everything else. Once the engines top off the starter nearly 100% of the charging power goes to the other battery but doesn't allow the boat to drain the starter battery.

They make a different panel with dual VSRs for twin applications.

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg