diawa saltist linecounter reels...any good?

Hey guys, looking to update a pair of downrigger reels b4 next season. I was eyeballing the saltist linecounter as a option. I wanted to consider a better reel that has solid antireverse and a good drag...maybe take Keating up on his light line tactic advice.

Does anyone use the saltist reels? or if there is a great reel for downriggers that would be suggested? thanks

I've never used a Saltist, but I've heard they are solid reels. But, if it was me, I would save some cash and go with a Okuma Convector CV-30D. Very nice reel, and much cheaper. You can find them online in the $65 dollar range. I love mine, and they leave a little cash in the wallet for other toys.

Just my two pennies.

Chris

If you want a line counter, the convector mentioned earlier is tough to beat for the money. If you don't require a line counter, I am very happy with a pair of shimano tr 200 g reels I have. The tr 100 g has a good capacity for lighter line and still a good solid reel.

I always see alot of talk on convectors (good talk). I just assumed they are a good reel for core and copper. If the drag is smooth and the frame is tight I certainly consider them. I am down with having extra money for lures and line. I still troll away with old shimanos used in the 80's by my grandfather. They are starting to feel the test of time. I dont think I have ever owned an okuma reel...might be time to start. Thanks as always.

I bought a pair of earings for my girlfriend for christmas, you would think she could have got me a pair of reels...

I us the Convector CV55L for my 300 coppers, I have never found a line counter necessary on Cores or coppers u r running all of the line out to the backing and then attaching the board, which makes the Line counter unnecessary. I Have gone to the Cablelas Depth master II for all of my riggers, less than $40 bucks and they seem to hold up great, I currently have 15 of them. My dipsey rods are The Okuma CV 45LC they work great with wire and Power pro, they are really durable. .

I have four of the Saltist STTLW50LCHA. Two on wire divers and two on coppers. They are very nice except that the line counter hits your wrist (bad design) and the handles are kind of cheap for a reel of this cost. You'd probably use the 30 series for rigger rods, so I'm guessing the line counter wouldn't be an issue due to the smaller size of the reel. The handle could be switched out. These are probably best quality (somewhat reasonably priced) high speed level wind, and I think the only option if you want a line counter. Okuma Clarion is a non-line counter, high speed option and is a pretty nice reel at a much lower cost. Long term, I think the Okuma drags will hold up better as they are carbon fiber. I haven't serviced my Saltists yet but I think they are paper drags, they're smooth now though.

We ran the non-linecounter version the first year it was available for our 10 color reels, and we were blown away by how nice the reel was. My father who wouldn't even touch a 10 color fish turned to me and applauded the reel. The drags are super smooth and the high speed retrieve really changes the game when it comes to junk line fishing. The next season the line counter version came out and we switched all our downrigger rods and our wires out for these from the old stand by Sealines. We were blown away again how nice the drag was, and the fast retrieve was no match for a Coho that hit a slider. Currently, every reel on our ride is a Saltist except our 400, 500, 600, and 700 coppers, because those wont fit on any Saltist currently offered.

Shimanos and Okuma are both making some great gear right now, and we are all spoiled with the options we have. We grew up fishing the old Sealines, so Dawia has been on our boat for a long time. We now have 3-4 years worth of use on these reels and not one of them has gone down, and we run them 3-4 days a week April-September. The drags seem to get better with age and the big handle is a very nice improvement over the small one on the Sealines. Just like the old Sealines I think you will see these on boats for many years to come.

One gripe people have with these reels is the line counter placement. I wasn't thrilled with it either, but we have become very comfortable with it. For me it lays right against my wrist nicely.

Another thing you might want to do is hold all of these reels in your hand and see which one feels best to you. When you spin the Tekota, which is a very nice reel, it has a wobble. Spin the Saltist and it is a very stable reel. I have no experience with any Okuma's.

Regardless what brand reel you get. Buy the best reel you can afford. You will be violently angry if you get a cheep reel to save a few bucks. and it screws up while your fighting a good fish.

Good advice there, and so true.

Chris