young people

ok guys and gals, im going to tell on myself. im on this other forum. there was a post about bloody pictures. and some people thought everyone under the age of 18 should be banned from the site, so there wouldnt be a problem posting gory pictures. i myself just see no reason to post bloody gory pictures of our kill or catch. i dont mean there should be no blood. or you couldnt post anythig. but it can be done with alittle class.

i for 1 think these forums are a great place for our young to hang out. i think they have the chance to learn ethics, that they might not be able to get anywhere elce. i think its a great place for them to learn about the sport of fishing and hunting.

i would much rather our posts be censored and have my kids and grandkids be hanging out on here than down on the corner doing god knows what.

i think we as sportsmen should be honered to mentor to our young. and i always try to do that even out here in the real world.

now what do you think about our younger generation being on this forum?? and do you believe bloody gory pictures are needed to impress others with your hunt or the fish you,ve caught??

sherman

you talk about mentoring our children and dont want bloody gory pics on forums?what happens when you gill hook a fish and its pumping blood..what happens when it comes time to clean the catch?does it get any gorier than that..we are raising our children more and more in a wussified america to the point where everyone gets a prize..win or lose..they are going to be set free in a world that is dog eat dog and they wont know how to deal with it..im all for removing bullying from schools and things like that but there is a point in time where we need to prepare our children for the real world..i havent seen the pics your talking about to give an opinion on them..but to shield kids from what theyre gonna see when they catch and clean doesnt make sense to me..just my opinion

I agree with Don. Blood and gore are all part of hunting and fishing. What are we supposed to do, ask them to go in the cabin if there is any blood when a fish comes in the boat? I haven't seen anything on any of these boards that kids won't see on any boat or hunting trip. If we have to censure a natural part of our sport, I won't be on any of these boards any longer. Having said that, people should try to not go out of their way to make things look bloodier than necessary, there isn't any reason for that either. As long as respect for the prey is given, no issue with me.

my 02.

I take a picture of a cooler.. the cooler is going to have 4 things...

1. Empty beer cans from my crew

2. Ice

3. Fish

4. If the cooler has fish its going to have blood...

I am not taking the picture of the cooler to show off the blood, but to show off the fish. When I take a picture at the launch I am not going to clean each fish off, it comes from the cooler to the hook.

I grew up cleaning animals and I am a firm member of PETA.... PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS!!

I not sure how many weird looks I got living in the appartments before my wife and I owned a home, but I would clean fish right out front, I would clean up everything and bring the guts away to my grandfolks. (no fish cleaning station at the time) I did my best to keep the mess to as little area as possible. I had been confronted multiple times about how kids should not see this kind of thing.

Blood in pictures does not bother me, and will not be sensored here. But...a picture looks ALOT better without it.

If I am going to take a picture of a fish, I try to wash any blood off it before I take the picture. Sometimes in all of the excitement of taking the pictures we forget about this.

It can be hard for someone to hang onto a fish that was just caught. Put the fish in the cooler and get your line(s) reset before you take your pictures. This gives the fish a chance to die and the fish will be easier to hang onto. ;)

If I am taking a picture of a deer, I try not to show the bloody areas. I will even push the tongue back in its mouth.

:thumb:

you talk about mentoring our children and dont want bloody gory pics on forums?what happens when you gill hook a fish and its pumping blood..what happens when it comes time to clean the catch?does it get any gorier than that..we are raising our children more and more in a wussified america to the point where everyone gets a prize..win or lose..they are going to be set free in a world that is dog eat dog and they wont know how to deal with it..im all for removing bullying from schools and things like that but there is a point in time where we need to prepare our children for the real world..i havent seen the pics your talking about to give an opinion on them..but to shield kids from what theyre gonna see when they catch and clean doesnt make sense to me..just my opinion

:thumb they will see a lot worse than a little blood n gore,the net is a twisted place.i myself would not let my kids(if i had any)on the net without supervision.my kids would find out about the blood n gut first hand anyway:D

Kids go through a phase when they want to pile up birds and fish, gory or not. Most grow out of it. I used to be like that but then realized I've done enough that I have nothing to prove to any one any more.

It's not just kids either, some people as adults have a "win at all costs, more than you" attitude.

My daughters will never go through that stage. They have learned to respect the game we harvest, be it releasing fish or wiping the blood off them before a picture. Makes for better pictures all around. And a better experience where at the end of the day it's not whether or not we piled a limit of greenies in the corn, but it's my daughter sleeping in the back seat of the Jeep with her head on the decoy bag as I ride home that I'll remember.

Don't need to give any fuel to the anti's either.

im not saying blood should be in pics either...and i agree the pics with the fish washed off look much better..im just saying to consider banning kids from sites becouse of blood in pics or banning pics with blood is silly (to me)..i clean fish at home and burn the carcasses..as i clean them my kids throw them in the fire..they also tend to chase each other with them from time to time and like to look at them and go ewww ..is that so bad?

As people have said there is going to be blood. I try to clean it up most of the time for the reasons that other people have listed.

Going back to the banning kids from sites with gory pictures/videos. If that is to be the case, all kids should be banned from You Tube because you can find literally hundreds of gory prairie dog hunts on there.

There is one time on another forum that someone posted a video that I though was inappropriate. The video was taken on a fishing trip in Alaska and was soley of him beating a fish he had caught. Now I am all for having a billy club to knock fish out once they are caught. However, the video was of him hitting the fish numerous time after it was obviously dead and he was making it look like he enjoyed it. I agree, there is nothing wrong with killing a fish (or other animals for that matter), but you should not be trying to make it gorier than it has to be. As Kevin said, respect the animal.

it seems most all you guys agree with me on this. you cant get away from having some blood if you take pictures. but you shouldnt ban kids from being on the forum just because of alittle blood. and yes some people in this world do go to the extream. and im not talking about this forum. all the pictures i have viewed on here were a real class act. but the thread on the other forum started off with close up shots of the hole in a squirrel with the brains hanging out. and the pictures were sensored. but there was a good shot of the squirrel with blood on the side of its head that was left. which i thought told the story just fine. but then there was some coments about banning kids instead of sensoring the pictures. and i just wanted some of your thoughts. and you guys never let me down.

sherman

Last year while cleaning fish with the kids watching, I decided to see what they were eating. One of the Steelies had a lot of bugs in their "tummy" & one of the Salmon had a lot of Alwives. My daughter immediatly thought that the small fish in the Salmon were "babies". After a quick chuckle, it was a very good learning experience for them, including showing them the lure used and how they looked like the bait. If done correctly, they can really learn. It is especially fun at supper time when they have caught the fish and understand the whole process.

When I started fishing in the early 50s I was involved in the fish cleaning process at 5 or 6 years old. At that point I wasn't using a knife but was washing and packing. As I grew older and fished on my own it was the rule that if you catch it you clean it. It just became a part of the sport and the meal that followed made it all worth while.

City kids should spend a Summer on a farm to see where their hamburgers and fried chicken come from. I'm not saying the gore should be flaunted, but the reality is what it is.

Its a bloody sport, being a youth of this great sport its part of. i grew up if you shot it you gutted it your self. Its a part of the game, DEAL with it. Blood dose not make me shy away from it. It just makes me grown because now i got a mess on my nice clean deck that i just washed again...i dont see a problem in it, if you dont like it...theirs always golf lol

bann it?? NO!.. it is part of the sport, to know that that fish was alive, to know you killed it, and to see, smell feel … it is all part of the experience,

BUT!!!

Respect it

it is a living creature, harvested with skill, harvested from passion, to be eaten , shared with friends, even to brag

to glorify the blood sport is not right either, I detest blatant overly bloody gill shots, yet admire fish being cleaned, I love a cooler full of fish, bloody or not, scales, slime and stench…that’s the fishing experience…a full cooler of bloody fish…Who wouldn’t be proud?

But

Respect it!!

funny thing , if a fish is posted with flasher fly/spoon hanging from its mouth…likely it has been cleaned of blood, is that out of respect for the fish or to make a sale??

I say blood is part of the sport

a good picture is of a limit on a meat pole; all crooked and pale from ice and death, a good picture is a bloody cooler,

A lousy picture is one that without thought of how to give respect to the fish or create shock, to create detest, to make a squeamish person cringe, to belligerently try and make a person unfamiliar with the excitement… uncomfortable

but a great picture is a shiny fish still full of life color, fresh from the lake, with a great smile, joy…maybe a little bloody stream, but respectful.

Too much blood is wrong and too little is fear…….but it is up to the individual how they want to portray their kill…..

….I wouldn’t be here if this “subject†was censored out of fear or if it lacked respect …

Different strokes for different strokes. My eldest daughter now 4, will catch pan fish with me and has no problem, nor do I, watching me clean the fish. I think it actually instills some sense of accomplishment, hey look, daddy is cleaning the fish we caught, and soon to be dinner. Blood is a by product of a fruitful harvest as an angler or hunter. Now by all means it's not for everyone, and in turn, the people that it is not for instill different values in there kids. Good example is my SIL, her boy likes to fish in their lake, but they refuse to use worms, because they're "GROSS". Well that has come from his mom, and now that he has heard that enough times he too now agrees with it. Which IMO is a shame.

Took the girls perching a while back with their grandpa. 4 dozen minnows in a bucket, and for the 1st hour all they wanted to do was handle the minnows, which I thought was great. They also wanted to touch the fish to feel them. Not once did I hear the word gross or EWWW. Can't wait for these girls to show some of their wussy boy friends how to not be a wussy. Other peoples kids....I tell ya

Keep doing what your doing Jason. That pic of you and your daughter ice fishing last year was priceless.

Thanks Alleyes, that smile she had told me the trip was a success.

100_4326.jpg