Reel Opinion

This past season I upgraded and added 14 Convectors to my arsenal, including a 55 levelwind for copper. Now I fish the Wisconsin side of the pond where I dont normally run lines 100' + down. I am looking this year to upgrade my copper reels and I wanted faster reels. I am looking at the Clarions which can pick up 53" of slack per crank. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on these reels one way or the other. I contacted Tuna Tom and he related that the upgrade kits for convectors are no longer available. I was thinking of getting 3 Clarions one for a 300' copper, a 10 color and a 15 color.

Gentlemen your thoughts please.

ive got the clarions they work awsome for the long coppers and leads. the high speed is great for clearing lines. i however fish mostly attractors and run a 7 to 9 rod spread. imo i think i would rather have the lower gear ratio of a tekota for FF and meat riggs. but for spoons the high speed is real nice.

I am new to this site and trolling. I have noticed that a lot of people are satisfied with convector reels. Would model cv-30d be sufficient? I am just going to start with two DR rods and two dipsey rods. They will most likely be paired with medium action Shomano TDR's. I am going to try and use them for walleye and salmon trolling.

Brad, A warm welcome to the GLF site. Holler if you need any help.

:welcome:

Your downrigger rods and reels will do fine for double duty. When using them for walleye splice on about 200 ft of 10# mono. You will want the rigger reels spooled with 17#-25# mono.

You will need rods specifically designed for Dipsy use. Most fishermen use super braid or wire for Dipsys. Dipsy's also require a rod with a lot of backbone.

I am new to this site and trolling. I have noticed that a lot of people are satisfied with convector reels. Would model cv-30d be sufficient? I am just going to start with two DR rods and two dipsey rods. They will most likely be paired with medium action Shomano TDR's. I am going to try and use them for walleye and salmon trolling.

another good reel is the daiwa sealine sg27lca , if you can find these on ebay for around 60.00 each for a real good used one or even new one. i have bought 12 of the sg17lca reels for 45.00 to 65.00 then put the power handles on them you have a great reel. and most of the ones i got were brand new or looked and worked like new. i like them much better than the convectors.

but to answer your question yes the 30 size convectors should work just fine for what you want them for. i bought some of the 20 size to use for walleyes on erie and they are great reels for the price. and they really should be big enough for what you listed you wanted them for. just my opinion.

sherman

Thank you Sherman. I was looking at the Daiwa as well but the convector may just be more budget friendly. I am starting from scratch so if I can save a little here and there it will help. I am going to the sport fishing show next weekend and may find a good deal or two. I did find the convector for $62 online and I thought that was a pretty good price. Who knows, I was set on the magda line and then justified spending a little more. Who knows, if I keep justifying I'll end up with Clarions.

Thank you Sherman. I was looking at the Daiwa as well but the convector may just be more budget friendly. I am starting from scratch so if I can save a little here and there it will help. I am going to the sport fishing show next weekend and may find a good deal or two. I did find the convector for $62 online and I thought that was a pretty good price. Who knows, I was set on the magda line and then justified spending a little more. Who knows, if I keep justifying I'll end up with Clarions.

you,ll be happy with the convectors. there much better than the magda,s. i spent about 6 months watching ebay to get all the sealines i bought. and i lost a few auctions. you really have to invest alot of time to get enough of the sealines at a good enough price to save enough money to make it worth while to buy them.

sherman

Meanmachine, welcome to the site. I'm just getting into the west side trolling on my own boat as well. I decided to go with convectors and accudepths, and I have found the best prices on both at Franks bait & tackle in Linwood. They have been cheaper than any website I have found and the guys are great in there. Not sure where your at but the drive over there is usually worth it. I use all magna's on my walleye spread and personally I would never bet that the drags would stand up to too many runs from a deep 25# fish. Good luck out there!

• 2 weeks later...

I did. I used 30lb power-pro. Got a good deal on a 1500yard spool on e-bay and decided to try it. I did find some other stuff at the fishing show but I just couldnt pull the trigger on another 75 bucks that I didnt really need to spend. I was thinking of going wire but that all just seemed a bit more confusing so I stuck with the braid.