Seminar worth it?

Hotdog71

I noticed that Capt. Dan Keating is having another busy season with his seminars. I was wondering, if I've read his books and watched his videos, is it worth making a trip to see him in person? $55 a person + gas + food= ????

Has anyone been to one of his talks before? Anything new that's not in the books or videos? Thoughts?

I have done both the book, and seminar. Although it's good I believe your better off with a few local contacts and staying busy with questions here on the forums.

Dan's approach is more geared to the West side of the lake, where there is more structure.

I go to shake hands and talk to like minded people, not so much for the presentation itself. There's usually a couple vendors around as well to chat with.

You will learn more fishing a couple hours on someone's boat than any day in the classroom. I've got 2000 hours on my boats and still like to hitch rides from time to time.

I went boatless last year and will probably do so again this year. I have learned more fishing on other boats than what I have learned in the previous 5 years fishing on my boat. I take what I have learned and apply different methods on every boat that I fish on. When you add it all up and your success rate really jumps you do not have to look real hard for a boat to hitch on because the guys who have boats really want to see what you are doing. One of the things that we did was to run 6 lines at night 3 of the lures were green dolphins (not glo lures). We also ran 3 of the top producing glo spoons. We landed 3 nice salmon within a half hour all on the green dolphins. Another thing that we did was when we had stackers we ran painted spoons off from the stacker as they were higher up and ran them about 100 back. The reflective spoons we ran deeper and closer to the ball about 30 back. The painted spoons produced more and bigger fish. Running sliders with small spoons on your dipsies will produce more atlantic salmon and steelhead. The steelhead and atlantics will chase a dipsey and they will hit at the spoon. Several of the boats that I fish on vary or frequently change depths on the cannonballs. Sometimes like every two or three minutes the balls go up or down 8 to 12 feet.

Go become a first mate for a year on a good charter boat and you will learn a millon times more. We have lots of customers that come up fish with us, want to learn a new trick or whats hot. They bring there boat up and stay in contact with us all the time they are up. I really like fishing on other charter boats too, learning new stuff makes me a better fisherman.

Just for for those of you who do want to see Dan Keating, He is coming to Holland March 10 2012 to give a seminar hosted by the holland steelheaders, I will have more info later.From what i am told the goodie bag you get is worth the $55.00 and you get lunch to. I have got the dvds to but its not the same as in person ( I was at one 5 yrs ago) and the question and answers by the audience will pertain to our waters, much of what he talks about will pertain to our side of the lake as well a salmon is the same over there as they are here, They are eatin machines!I think he gives some pretty good info. just my two cents. jimmy

I didnt see anything on the schedule for him coming to holland i was going to go to the michigan city show in Jan, I spoke with Dan and he said the $55 gets entry to seminar the sports show and a goody bag thats worth over $55 is the one in holland basically the same deal?

I live in the UP and the Pro's do not do too many seminars up here so you either learn from your mistakes or learn from others. Once the skunks pile up in your boat you go out and do a complete change of everything then you catch fish. I hope that Reel Skrewd will take some good notes for me and we will be fishing in a few months once the hard water leaves.

I too will be at the MI City seminar. It will be a chance for a beginner to learn from what more experienced fisherman have to offer. I will also try to meet as many of the guys that fish out of Trail Creek and Portage to possibly learn from the locals too.

Plus I am so Jonesing to fish for salmon again that I can maybe get a little "fix" while awaiting spring. Eric Enk, Martinsville Indiana.

I have attended Keating's school and also a seminar at a school in Grand Haven with Willis Kerridge and others. I enjoyed both and learned some things at both. Some topics will interest you, some won't. If you have the time and money it should be a good time. One thing I liked better about the school that Dan Keating and Dave Mull did was that it was at a place in South Bend that had an open bar and refreshments were allowed during the seminar!!!!