Goofy things on the rigger

Killin' It

So... I know I have posted a few times about the lack of hits, ect on my riggers last year.

I am going to run 3 boards a side with 2 divers and 1 rigger (Unless fishing for trout)

In saying that, Does anyone ever get board and just put something goofy down on the rigger.

Things I thought about trying.....

Little Cleo

KO wobbler

J-13 firetiger possible behind a tin can or something.

Brads cut plug This really isnt goofy, but I was honestly thinking about keeping one down the rigger 100% of the time. They catch fish.

OR

Just run a white SD with a green fly and never change it!!

We run some SWRs every once in a while or some goofy baits.

However, I also run a 11" white paddle with a green fly on it on both riggers.

Even if they don't fire the dipseys may start going or the spread may start working.

I don't change the riggers because they are likely bringing fish into the pattern (either with sound or flash) and when the fish don't hit the fly they see something else they like in the spread.

But it sure is fun to get the riggers going. Is it spring yet?????

I was told that by running smaller lures on the lines closer to the boat and progressively increasing the size of your presentations as you move farther away from the boat mimics a bait school with larger fish following, which may induce other larger fish to feed. Anyone do this, or have comments.

back in the late 70,s i have put all kinds of stuff out there. once we were not getting anything on the riggers and put out a big rapala broken back rainbow trout pattern, it turned out to be the hottest bite of the whole season,LOL. go figure.

there were times we wouldnt be getting any hits, and we would say we were going to put out the kitchen sink. we tried everything in the tackle box. sometimes it worked and most of the time it didnt. but we were willing to try anything. and it was alot of work as we only had manual riggers.

sherman

I have run real crawlers on harnesses off the riggers and taken walleye, steel, kings, whitefish, etc, on them. I tend to do a lot of things different than most. I stumble across some good techniques by breaking some rules. The way I figure the fish can't read the rules.

Someone had to be bored to hook a short core to a rigger and give us the SWR. Dare to be different.:) They may call you crazy but you'll be in good company.:)

Two years ago I caught a nice mid-day king off Ludingtion with a Wonder Bread bag wrapped around my Undertaker flasher. Left it on there, put it back down, but no luck. Heck, you never know. Maybe should have swapped out the flasher for a wonderbread:eek:

When nothing else works we always throw a couple of rapalas out and they always catch a fish or two. A couple of times we hooked up the steelhead rods with 8 lb test and green dolphins. THe steelhead could not lay off from them. It was a fun 30 minute battle to land an 8 to 10 pound steelhead too.

Size 4 and 5 spinners either catch fish or wrap your line up into a huge ball.

Ran a lot of stick baits off lead core last year. Hooked a lot of kings on them. Hooked a lot of big kings in the gill plates with the back hooks and took 45 minutes to land them. Stopped running stick baits off lead core after that.