Smart Phone GPS Plotter

Priority1

Has anyone tried some of the apps available for smart phones that will accept NOAA charts?? Here is one link about it. Like everything there are probably pros and cons about it.

http://sailing.about.com/b/2010/03/14/new-chartplotter-app-for-iphone.htm

This is an old thread from this site discussing several GPS systems including Laptops.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16411&highlight=SeaClear

I think this is just the competition that Bumming Bird, Garvin, and Low Rants need to bust open their chip game. Like I stated before I have no problem buying a unit but despise their chip chip chip game. They would still make money selling their units with all the GLs included in the price. I don't have a smart phone but for those that do it could be a backup or the main tool. I like killing two birds with one stone.

I have purchased the navionics app for ipad and do like it. It will run on iphone as well. I downloaded the whole great lakes area. Navionic has included more info than the noaa charts and its $49 for the app. I do have Navionics chip as well in my hds-7 which is still my primary. the ipad gives a nice clear detailed view when trolling contours. Not great in the sun but I definately recommend it if you can apare $49 and already have an ipad.

I have purchased the navionics app for ipad and do like it. It will run on iphone as well. I downloaded the whole great lakes area. Navionic has included more info than the noaa charts and its $49 for the app. I do have Navionics chip as well in my hds-7 which is still my primary. the ipad gives a nice clear detailed view when trolling contours. Not great in the sun but I definately recommend it if you can apare $49 and already have an ipad.

Orval, Was that $49 for the app and Great Lakes download?? If so not bad.

I have made shades for my Garmin Sonar, Lowrance 350 combo, and my Toughbook chart plotter. All are sunlight viewable but the shades help a ton. It's like the bill on a ball cap on a sunny day. I made them out of some thin black foam material I got at a hobby shop. I fastened them to the units with sticky Velcro. They make shades for the units but the cost of this was only a few bucks a unit.

Orval, Was that $49 for the app and Great Lakes download?? If so not bad.

I have made shades for my Garmin Sonar, Lowrance 350 combo, and my Toughbook chart plotter. All are sunlight viewable but the shades help a ton. It's like the bill on a ball cap on a sunny day. I made them out of some thin black foam material I got at a hobby shop. I fastened them to the units with sticky Velcro. They make shades for the units but the cost of this was only a few bucks a unit.

the cost was for the area. In my case I bought the US/Canada. Now I can download any map in that area. The only time I would need to buy anything again would be for a different area. Say the Carribean or South America. Its a really great deal compared to buying chips.

The other thing I forgot to add is that I do not have radar so on those summer days that we are expecting a front to go through or expecting afternoon thunder showers I can usually get a weather radar site on the ipad internet. It usually works till 10 miles off shore. The navionics app does not reuired a cell signal to plot youtr position. it will use cells to get a quick fix but then uses the internal gps of the ipad.

I have all the charts for the great lakes available, on my Ipad. Using a program called charts. My I pad has the internal gps . so as far as that goes it should work great, I will find out for sure when I can get on the water in the spring. The charts that are used are the same raster charts that you can download for free.

After looking on the web site for navionics I my get that one too.

• 4 weeks later...

Look what you can get for $6 if you have a IPad or IPod. These Apps along with the weather apps would be invaluable on the boat. One of these days I may get rid of my rotary dial phone and evolve into the new millennium.:)

http://marine.geogarage.com/mobile

Has anyone tried the water proof packs that vacuum seal the IPads inside?

A lot of cool stuff is available. Technology can boggle the mind thinking of what tomorrow will bring.

ipod_ipad_app.jpg

Edited by Priority1
Adding Site Screen shot

I've tried some of these apps on my phone and the problem I had with it is that my battery would only last like 2-3 hrs using the app--just not practical. It works to quick check something out, but when fishing all day long it just didnt work well.

I'm going to have to check that geogarge app out for the Ipad. I've always been a fan of that site to look for new fishing holes.

I downloaded this app for my droid http://earthnc.com/ it looks ok, plan to give it a try in the spring.

not worried about battery life as I made a mount for the phone on the dash and just plug the phone into the car charger.

I do the same thing with my toughbook. The screen is brighter also when it's plugged into the charger.