Hummingbird 385ci or lawrance elite5

I am looking to add some electronics to my ice fishing game. at first iwas going to go with a vexilar. But now I'm considering the 385ci. I figured it might not be quite as good as the vex but could be satisfactory and have the gps and summertime flexibility. Of course if i do go this route I may go big and opt for the elite5 ice machine. Any one have experience or recommendation on these?

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at purchasing a new unit for my boat and when I was at jays a few weeks ago found out that the lowrance hds5 I have been looking at could also be used as a portable ice flasher with an accessory ice kit. That made my decision final as along with the flasher i will have the gps to mark locations and the lake maps for bigger lakes for getting close to depth without having to search around. The best bang for buck for me, I will be able to use it all year round. Going to pick it up this weekend I'll give you an update as soon as we get some good ice in my area.

Good Fishing,

Troy

I have been looking at purchasing a new unit for my boat and when I was at jays a few weeks ago found out that the lowrance hds5 I have been looking at could also be used as a portable ice flasher with an accessory ice kit. That made my decision final as along with the flasher i will have the gps to mark locations and the lake maps for bigger lakes for getting close to depth without having to search around. The best bang for buck for me, I will be able to use it all year round. Going to pick it up this weekend I'll give you an update as soon as we get some good ice in my area.

Good Fishing,

Troy

Troy, A warm welcome to the GLF site. Just give a yell if ya need any help.

:welcome:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was finally able to make it out yesterday 1-14-12 and give my new lowrance a try. Fishing was very slow with the front that came through at the end of the week. Did mark a few fish but they seemed to be inactive making hard to adjust / tune in a brand new piece of equipment. Happy so far with a few more trips out im sure I will get it dialed in.

good fishing,

Troy