Making my own flies

So im learning to tie my own flies with a mixed bag of mylar I bought and have been having some great success.

I have been having some trouble with my trailing treble hook not being inline. I have been snelling the treble and was wondering if people have used another more effective/durable knot.

also.....

with all your two hook setups has anyone used two singles with an improved hook set?

I had some colors that I wraped up just for fun.

not a viking fan, but come spring ill see of any minnesota lake trout are

imag0004.jpg

imag0003.jpg

I use tandem singles on my flies. When I first switched to the singles, my hook up ratio increased dramatically. I use the 4/0 octopus hook ssw by owner. I rarely miss a fish on flasher/fly setups. I have had lots of fish with both hooks in the fish's mouth. I've also had hooks go through the mouth hooking the fish and then hook from the outside in. That one is not so fun to deal with, but the fish gets into the boat. I set my hooks 180 degrees from each other. It kinda takes the inline thing outta play.

I think the biggest thing with the hookset is having the sharpest hooks possible. That's why I like the Owner hooks.

Good luck with the flies. I have one almost the same colors, only ran it twice last year beacause other flies were hot. Still think it's a good color.

I use 1/4" OD, .170" ID tubing for my fly heads. Comes in like 15 ft sections for a couple bucks at Menards. I have used some of the bullet heads sold online but don't like them nearly as much. With the tubing I cut about a 2" section and chuck it into the drill. This gives me a good solid vice, that rotates if I need it, to work from. When I am done I cut off all the excess. The tubing is wide enough that it will slide over the loop on the end of my leaders so I do not have to retie to change flies.

Aaron those look great, I didn't ask when we went out, did you buy your own boat? If you are looking for some rubber skirting I will PM you the company that makes it. Chris

nope... :( no big boat yet.... just my 17' alum. thats ok though, gives me lots of time to look and find out what I want.

I wrap mine tightly with thread like a traditional fly and coat it in clear fingernail polish. I have heard the smell turns fish away, haven't found this to be the case at all. I prefer to cover the threads with a rod building poly for longevity but you would need a dryer to do that.

I don't use glue hardly at all I do have a couple of patterns that require it but that is to make it easier to keep the material in place I use a whip finish knot and have never had a fly come apart. But I guess I am old school since I tie them the same as I tie for my fly rods so I tie from start to finish every thing is held in then wrapped.

• 4 weeks later...

I Like the fly on the bottom thats just above your post Im quoting you from...

what kind of glue do you all use?

iv been using krazy glue with a brush and its working great, but im worried that it will react with the tube and make it brittle.

"CS Coatings" makes a clear lure / jig finish that works pretty good (plus it smells outstanding). I use a small cheap paintbrush and put a few coats on the thread. It dries pretty fast. Turns out nice and glossy. Costs about $5 a jar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm just starting to see if I can tie some of these myself. Picked up some mylar, a couple different head styles, head cement, and thread. I've heard of guys using two sided to start them out and I tried it but it seems bulky. Do you guys have a vice to hold the heads? How do you start them? is the tape the right answer? I'm pretty green at fly tieing but since nothing is froze up around here enough to walk on, I've gotta find something to do. Thanks for any help... pm's are always welcome

• 1 year later...

For the bullet heads I made a jig that is a 5/16 bolt welded to a piece of pipe on a flange. thread a short piece of rubber hose on the bolt threads. Stick the bullet head into the rubber hose and tie I use kevlar thread and a whip finish knot to secure them. Sometimes I glue them with nail polish.

I made quite a few flys last year, I used stretch cord.. a cpl wraps and no glue or tape needed to start. after im done wrapping i give it one drop of super glue let dry for a sec and cut the stretch cord than finish off wit a coat of clear nail polish and they held up great i,ll post a pic shortly

Thought i had some pics but couldn't find them so i tied up one, the stretch cord works really good, you can stretch the heck out of it and it really tightens up the mylar (stold it from my daughter):thumb: if your wondering what that green head is.. its a piece of a crazy straw, you can pick up a pack of 5 or 6 at the dollar store for a buck they come in all different colors its nice thick tubing it will slide right over the regular clear tubing with a little heat and pushes the mylar up tight agaisnt the wrap. you can also used it alone in place of the reg tubing.. and i use the dogs nail nippers to cut all the tubing works excellent, nice clean cut

flys_002.jpg

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/3/6/5/5/flys_010.jpg' alt='flys_010.jpg'>

• 7 months later...
Where do you folks get your heads and skirt materials for these flies ?

Thanks, Bill

The last time i purchased some banded mylar, i ordered it from Siggs Riggs. Speaking of.... i have yet to make any flies with it yet.