Winter Projects

Aside of from Ice Fishing, anyone have any cool winter boat or fishing projects going on?

I am looking into chaging the seating in the boat and going from the back to back lounge seats to two captains chairs. I will also be making some more coho flies. Aside from that I will be ice fishing and working as much overtime as I can so in the summer, I can work undertime!

I will be ice fishing quite a bit. I also have to get my 9.9 prokicker all hooked up. New humminbird 788 combo should be here on Wednesday, so I have to install that too. Need to put in a new cd player and a new ship-to-shore. Geeze now that I think about it I better get crackin before the hard water.

I just sold my old rod holders and ordered 8 new ones for the sides of my boat. I have to redrill the bases and countersink the holes so i can use the existing holes in the boat from the old holders. Also ordering a planer mast for walleye fishing that i have to mount on the bow.

I have my boat torn up as well. 2008 Smoker Craft Pro Angler 161. I had a downrigger board that housed both riggers, 2 rod holders, a graph, and a rear driving lamp for landing fish. Am going to downrigger pedistals for next year, and rod trees. Mounting the graph, lights, and holders elsewhere. Running transducer cable for new FishHawk and Hummingbird gps/graph combo. I'm working at this a bit at a time, after all I have all winter.:D

Uhmm.. Let's see, I'm having a stainless Railing made for the swim platform, so we can fish off the platform Safely(mama said keep the salmon blood and guts off the boat)...

Adding a whole new sound system to the bridge all JL Audio Component speakers (12) and (2) 10" JL Audio Subwoofers. Another 10" subwoofer and 4 speakers in the Cockpit(I call it a Patio).

Adding two more rod holder holes in the Gunwales and I have to put a new transom sensor for the FishHawk that I let go with the 320 I sold.

Wire in the two Riggers into the two cabinets port and starboard.

That aut to keep me busy for most of the winter, plus everytime I go over to Montague to work on the boat, I have to take the wife with me,she's going to polish the topside of the boat with me.......imagine that!!!!!!!!!!!

pics please

I would have posted them already but my Nikon Cool Pix 5000 is on the blink. Boats take their toll on photo equipment. I'm looking for a new point and shoot camera $80-$120. I think I'll eBay the old one and it's good batteries and chargers unless someone here can use the parts and accessories.

Description of Rod Rack. I have a small ledge where the garage stud wall meets the concrete block foundation. I used two 1X3 about 12 ft long. Mine had to run from a corner to a window. The bottom board was fastened to the ledge and 1-1/8 flat bottom holes were bored half way through the bottom board at 6 inch centers for the rod buts to sit in. I used a self feed forstener bit with a 1/2 inch drill motor for this task. I have three blocks showing inside that garage wall so the rods are well off the floor. The top board was already in place as a means to hang garage stuff. In the top board I used small screw hooks @ appropriate centers and pinched the hook so the rods would easily snap into them. Cheap and easy. The rods are up off the floor, which was my main goal.

The bad thing about this rack is it doesn't accommodate all my rods. My wife knows all my rods are not in the rack, but yet it's full. It's just too easy for her to take inventory. Are you getting my drift.:grin:

My garage is somewhat unique because the floor drops about 14 inches for the third bay. That is why there are 3 blocks showing on the inside. It was designed that way to give me a 10 ft high by 12 ft wide overhead door for boat storage. Usually my boat never gets covered and spends the nights in the garage.

D@#n too much verbiage. Gotta get a new camera.:lol:

Edited by Priority1

Frank, I have the sony Cyber shot, and I love it for being on the boat, you can hold it in one hand and make all your adjustments in the same hand... this is my second one only cause I wanted more mega pixels for blown up shots and the zoom is 10x it's Awesome

Frank, I have the sony Cyber shot, and I love it for being on the boat, you can hold it in one hand and make all your adjustments in the same hand... this is my second one only cause I wanted more mega pixels for blown up shots and the zoom is 10x it's Awesome

Robert,

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards a Sony. My Nikon did me well until it took a good splash. I think I had it for 7 or 8 years. My son and DIL have a Cyber Shot and like it. Sometimes just before Christmas the large chain stores offer camera bundles at a reduced price. If anyone comes across a good deal let me know.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Robert, I did get a Sony Cyber Shot. Wally World had some on sale on Black Friday. I thought our little town of Tawas would not be too bad @ 12:00 midnight. Wrong!!!!!!!!! I wanted to get the 16 MP with 10 times zoom but the few they had were scooped fast. I did get a 16 MP with a 5 times zoom for $99, about $30 less than the 10 times zoom. Thanks for the tip on the Sony. I like it so far. I'll post some pics of my project below that were taken @ 5 mp and reduced in Gimp to mail and post with out taken too much space.

Spent the past few weeks , prepping for paint. Then painting and pin striping.I mounted the battery charger, ran wires to the rear for the rear batteries. Going to add two flush mount rod holders for gimbal mount riggers.

Not really much else to do to it.. Other than sit in it and dream of spring!