type of reels

jimcr

I was told by a guy who fixes reels, he said that the okuma CV are the best looking reel inside and you couldn't pay him to fish with a tekota. Its not the money cost he said there built like crap.

i think your buddy may have been drunk;)

i have to agree. to much bottle. i have never used the tekota,s but i have always heard good things about them. but just to much money for me. my favorite reel for the money has to be the daiwa sg lca reels. i,ve bought a bunch of them off ebay from 45.00 to 65.00 for them and most of them were brand new.

i use the sg17lca but the bigger reels for copper and wire would work just fine. i have the convector 20 line counter reels and some of the daiwa accudepth plus adp17lc and they really arent bad reels for the price. but with the power handles on the sg17lca reels they are in a much higher class than the convectors or the accudepth plus reels. and when i can pick up the daiwa sg lca reels for the same or less money than the convectors then im going to go with the daiwa,s.

the only reel i got off ebay that didnt work right i contacted the seller and he paid to ship it to tuna toms and have it repaired, and i didnt even have to file a dispute with ebay to get it done. but on ebay if you get something thats not as described you can file a dispute, and get your money back.

i bought all new power handles for my sg17lca,s and the adp17lc,s from tuna toms. just makes them a whole new reel.

sherman

You go tell him that, hes been a charter for over 30 years and fixing reels for the same

i think 90% of the people on thie site would agree with me.there is no way you can consider the tekotas junk.i have owned most makes and models and the tekotas are the only one that make people say"wow thats the smoothest rest i have ever used" thats why everybody loves them for wire:thumb:

i wonder if you set a pile of tekotas and a pile of whatever okuma on a table and told people they could have one free which pile would be gone first:rolleyes:

i am not saying all the others brands are junk,they all make a decent reel these days.but to say the tekotas are junk,i stick to my original statement

i think 90% of the people on thie site would agree with me.there is no way you can consider the tekotas junk.i have owned most makes and models and the tekotas are the only one that make people say"wow thats the smoothest rest i have ever used" thats why everybody loves them for wire:thumb:

i wonder if you set a pile of tekotas and a pile of whatever okuma on a table and told people they could have one free which pile would be gone first:rolleyes:

i am not saying all the others brands are junk,they all make a decent reel these days.but to say the tekotas are junk,i stick to my original statement

I completely agree with Jay on this. I have a few now and whenever i can i pick up another to retire an okuma. Last year i got two more this year the wife layed off so no big spending for me this winter. They are hands down the nicest reel i have ever used and eventually will be the only reels on my boat.

I have several convectors and one tekota. Mine are all used for my leads and coppers. I think both are very good reels. But when it comes to price, I can't say the tekotas are worth it. Let me explain. I have purchased all but one of my reels used. I have rebuilt those reels, with the help from Pauly at Tuna Toms. Now I'm running a cv55 and an 800 for my coppers, they are so close in performance, I cant see spending an extra 50-100 bucks for the tekota. Yes those rebulds cost a little but I changed the same things in both reels. And the cost of the tekota parts are generally more expensive than the convectors. I have used the reels for several seasons without issues on either one. So I guess what I'm saying is if you have the money go ahead a get a tekota, but if you don't, or just want to save a little money, the convector is a great alternative that performs very close to it.

Just my 2 cents.

I was told by a guy who fixes reels, he said that the okuma CV are the best looking reel inside and you couldn't pay him to fish with a tekota. Its not the money cost he said there built like crap.

I would totally disagree. One person's opinion compared to several tells the true tale. Takota's are the way to go.:thumb:

I don't really have a dog in this fight because I don't own a Tekota but just thought I'd put this up so there's not just one person saying the Convector is better than the Tekota but looking at Alan Tani's site it looks like he favors the Convector over the Tekota. My guess is the Tekota isn't as goon with saltwater which is what he fishes so freshwater is probably a different beast. Just thought I'd pop these on.

Tekota thread

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=322.0

convector thread

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=774.0

I do not believe you can legitimately compare Convectors with Tekotas. Its just not an apples to apples comparison. That being said.....

I have also been told that the stock inner workings of a Tekota are not up to par with their price - per the technician at the reel repair shop I use. I have not ever been inside one, so I can not speak for this myself. I have however fished many a fishing trips with them and they are super smooth, great reels. Besides price, I have nothing bad to say about them. Shimano, more specifically the Tekotas, have a huge cult following on the great lakes. This is a well deserved reputation but is also fueled by the huge amount of charters and tourny boats using and raving about them. Matt - you are going to get backed into a corner on this argument!

I personally fish all Okuma reels. my Clarions and Catalinas are comparable, in my opinion to any Tekota I have fished with. Unfortunately, Okuma has not been a consistent player in the great lakes reel market. They have been established with their more affordable Convector line. Now with the Clarions/Catalinas reaching and exceeding the Tekota prices, Okuma does not stand a chance.

I do not believe you can legitimately compare Convectors with Tekotas. Its just not an apples to apples comparison. That being said.....

I have also been told that the stock inner workings of a Tekota are not up to par with their price - per the technician at the reel repair shop I use. I have not ever been inside one, so I can not speak for this myself. I have however fished many a fishing trips with them and they are super smooth, great reels. Besides price, I have nothing bad to say about them. Shimano, more specifically the Tekotas, have a huge cult following on the great lakes. This is a well deserved reputation but is also fueled by the huge amount of charters and tourny boats using and raving about them. Matt - you are going to get backed into a corner on this argument!

I personally fish all Okuma reels. my Clarions and Catalinas are comparable, in my opinion to any Tekota I have fished with. Unfortunately, Okuma has not been a consistent player in the great lakes reel market. They have been established with their more affordable Convector line. Now with the Clarions/Catalinas reaching and exceeding the Tekota prices, Okuma does not stand a chance.

Josh what numbers are you talking on the Clairions , I was looking at them and they seem to top out about 130.00. The Catalinas start out at 200.00.

The Solterras seem to start at 130.00 also, just dont' know which model numbers you are talking about.

Like Josh said, CV's and Tekotas are 2 different animals , I fish with 26 Convectors on all coppers and divers, and four magda pro 30s that are 6 years old and still preform as good as any thing else. But if I had close to 6 grand to spend to replace them all I would have Tekotas also.:)

Josh what numbers are you talking on the Clairions , I was looking at them and they seem to top out about 130.00. The Catalinas start out at 200.00.

The Solterras seem to start at 130.00 also, just dont' know which model numbers you are talking about.

I was more so talking the Catalinas, they have absolutely out priced themselves.

Matt talked to tunas a couple months ago about upgrading a couple of my older okumas. during the conversation we got onto which is the better reel he claims hands donw that the gears and inner workings are much better quality and finish than the okumas. He said he would take a shimano over a okuma any day including the top end okumas. So this is coming from a reel tech also not a driver. With tunas reputation i would tend to listen to what they say more than others. I am not saying the okumas are a bad reel. I have used and abused mine for years. but when you fish the two side by side there is a noticable difference.

Matt talked to tunas a couple months ago about upgrading a couple of my older okumas. during the conversation we got onto which is the better reel he claims hands donw that the gears and inner workings are much better quality and finish than the okumas. He said he would take a shimano over a okuma any day including the top end okumas. So this is coming from a reel tech also not a driver. With tunas reputation i would tend to listen to what they say more than others. I am not saying the okumas are a bad reel. I have used and abused mine for years. but when you fish the two side by side there is a noticable difference.

thats exactly what he told me too. when it comes to fixing reels tunas works on more reels than anyone else around here.they even have out of state saltwater guys sending there stuff from florida for their expertese.tunas word is good enough for me

• 2 weeks later...