In the off season I am going to up grade some rods and I was curious as to what you guys use. For downriggers I use 7' ugly sticks, for leadcore I use 7' Okuma Leadcore rods, for dipsys I use 8' Pinancle rods, and I used TDR's for copper.

Just because I am wierd I want a uniform spread, I am selling all my reels that are not Connvectors just so I can have all one kind, with the exception of some Clarions for copper and a 10 color.

Your thoughts, what kind of rods do you guys use/recommend...

We run 8'6 browning sliaflex and pen 320s, 8'6 on a low diver 10ft on the high. Then we have 18 10ft Traverse bay tackle for lead cores, all leads are on okuma CVs, high and low wires are on daiwa 47s, high and low sides are on 8'6 and 10' convector rods with matching reel.

i switched to all okuma copper rods other than eyefull rigger rods..reason being is i can have a box of reels with #7 swivels on them and the swivel passes thru all the eyelets..that way i can switch reels in a minute or so without having to buy and carry and store 30 rods

In the off season I am going to up grade some rods and I was curious as to what you guys use. For downriggers I use 7' ugly sticks, for leadcore I use 7' Okuma Leadcore rods, for dipsys I use 8' Pinancle rods, and I used TDR's for copper.

Just because I am wierd I want a uniform spread, I am selling all my reels that are not Connvectors just so I can have all one kind, with the exception of some Clarions for copper and a 10 color.

Your thoughts, what kind of rods do you guys use/recommend...

i am thinking about getting a couple more daiwa sg17lca,s if you have a couple of those your getting rid of pm me.

sherman

I 'm adding a total of 6 more Okuma copper rods , they work awsome for the coppers . the Large eyes make it easy to get the copper with knots to pass through.

I am using all 8' 6" rods except for my braided dipsy rods which are 10' 6" . Let me know if you would like to see these copper rods . I just ordered 4 and they were less than 125.00 shipped.

salmon assassin i'm looking to get ugly sticks for my downriggers could you plz tell me the model # of the rods it will keep me from guessing.and buying the wrong stuff. thanks

The Shakespeare Uglyl Stick BWD 1100 86 is the one I use it is an 8'6" downrigger rod the BWD 1100 series come in 8'6" 9' and 10' models. I use the 10 footers for my dipseys and the 8' 6" for all the other stuff, coppers i use eagle claw 8' casting rods because the knots go thru the eyes really well. The yellow looks like heck but works like a dream.

thanks for the reply supertramp the model # will help greatly,picked up rods last yr for walleye fishing i guested on the number and of course i was wrong .had to drive back to cabelas on my next weekend off to exchange them,which is always a bad thing according to my dear wife!

thanks for the reply supertramp the model # will help greatly,picked up rods last yr for walleye fishing i guested on the number and of course i was wrong .had to drive back to cabelas on my next weekend off to exchange them,which is always a bad thing according to my dear wife!

i hate to dispute your wife, but i,ve never had a bad trip to cabelas,LOL.

just kiddin.

sherman

yes, I would when you get a pic! thanks!

photo0073.jpg

photo0072.jpg

photo0071.jpg

Here are those pictures, If you look in the pictures you will see the upper grip is triangular in shape . This really helps keep a good hold of the rod.

This is a CP CL 862 Copper Rod. 8' 6" in lenth. Nice large eyes on these . As far as how they perform , :thumb::thumb:worked awesome for me this last year. For budget minded worth every penny. You can buy this at Bretts Place on the Bay. His Store is in Sodus Michigan. Web site is www.brettsplaceonthebay.com

On our tournament/charter boat we run Daiwa Saltist on every reel except the long coppers. These reels are a great upgrade, and the high gear ration makes them sweet. All of our rods are Daiwa Heartlands. We run the 8' model on our riggers. Our wires are both the 9'6" and the 10'6" models. For our long cores and coppers we use the 9'6" divers rods. For the price you can't beat the heartland rods.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I love the look of everthing being the same.

We rul 8'6"Okuma rods on pretty much everything, with the exception of full core we have 9' okuma mooching rods, which have a little more backbone. I run the grey 8'6" okuma trolling rods, 8'6" classics for 1 color up to full core, 9' mooching okuma for full core, and 8'6" okuma leadcore/copper rods for copper. I run mostly (all but a the 1 and two color core) convector reels. Maybe someday I'll get a sponsorship. :thumb:

i hate to dispute your wife, but i,ve never had a bad trip to cabelas,LOL.

just kiddin.

sherman

I live 2 miles down the road from the Richfield Cabelas, actually exit the highway next to Cabelas on my way home from work. My wife was not pleased when Cabelas moved in...

Matt ,

how did the tips break?

Matt, I'd also be interested to hear what brand rods you were using and how the tips broke off. I have 8 new Daiwa Saltist hi speed line counter reels and 2 used Okuma Catalina line counter reels that are in search of new rods. Most of these reels will be running copper so I have been considering the following brands in no particular order:

Shimano Talora Copper

Okuma Copper

Daiwa Heartland Copper

If you broke the tips on one of the above models I'd love to hear about it, hopefully before I pull the trigger to purchase several.

Thanks~Mark

While researching the Okuma brand, I noted they offer rods designated for use with copper in both the Classic Pro and Convector lines:

Classic Pro - 1 Year Warranty - 8'6" - Less Expensive

Convector - Lifetime Warranty - 8' or 9' - Over twice the cost of the Classic Pro - heavy duty guides

I'm not sure if you can read anything into Okuma's difference in the length of warranty between the two lines, but it's good info to know for those considering a purchase.

Mark

Thanks everyone for their input... Sorry I didn't post earlier but for my downriggers I use 7' Ugly Sticks size, BWD1131 (6-17LB Line).

I prefer the smaller rods because you can really load that puppy up so when she pops, she really pops. Plus I really like fighting fish on smaller rods, all my leadcore rods are 7' as well. I think I might be moving to ugly sticks this year, I really like the quality and reputation of the rods.

• 2 weeks later...
photo0073.jpg

photo0072.jpg

photo0071.jpg

Here are those pictures, If you look in the pictures you will see the upper grip is triangular in shape . This really helps keep a good hold of the rod.

This is a CP CL 862 Copper Rod. 8' 6" in lenth. Nice large eyes on these . As far as how they perform , :thumb::thumb:worked awesome for me this last year. For budget minded worth every penny. You can buy this at Bretts Place on the Bay. His Store is in Sodus Michigan. Web site is www.brettsplaceonthebay.com

i bought a couple of eagle claw rods at bretts with the triangler handles for my divers. i just love them. i would like to have all my diver rods made this way. but just cant justify the costs. all my old rod still work good. if i ever have to replace any of them i,ll go with the new handles.

sherman

Yes the triangular handles help keep the rods from twisting . Another thing that helps is to put your side of your arm against the reel for those that don't have this type of grip.

I also have a set of the GLT Salmon rods in 8' 6" . These are nice too. Have the same grip. I think they need just a little more back bone though.