boat project over the winter!

Well here we go again last time it was replace the engine then it was doing the interior, this year its a biggie Replace the transom:eek: got started this week by getting the outdrive off and engine out, cleaned the bilge and removed all the old screws off the exterior of the transom and the trim tabs. I am going to try to keep this thread going all winter with my progress with pics as often as i can.Here are some pics of the start.:thumb:

105_0557.jpg

105_0558.jpg

105_0559_00.jpg

105_0560_00.jpg

The transom is flexing really bad and has a huge hollow sounding area also the transom bolts on the the gimble ring keep coming loose due to compression. Im not sure if im going to do the stringers to, they seem to be pretty solid but i know the decking is getting a little soft were the seats bolt down probly from water going down the screws over the years,so i may remove the old decking and replace it not sure yet , or lay new on top of the old but i think this is not the best route.

Don' date=' I wondered about that too. The new boat we got has some % of water in the transom. We got a deal on it (thinking we may need to replace it), but I was reading about the epoxy thing. Who did you have do that?[/quote']

i will get the info to you when i get home..it was a soft spot about 18 inches and it was by the sterndrive rock solid now:thumb:

Good luck with your project. Not an uncommon fix in the boating world. A labor of love, no doubt. Doing the same thing to my aluminum Crestliner. Should be a lot easier than your project (I hope). Looking forward to your progress reports.

Here is an update I worked on the boat tonight for a couple of hours and cleared most of the stuff off the transom, I have to get the t pipe off for the exhaust, i have the bolts out But i cant get it to come off? It will spin a little but will not seperate? I have to figure out how to get the steering unhooked and take out the transom bolts and then the transom ring should come off, then its time to cut the old one out.The transom is so rotten i can stick a knofe thru the fiberglass in several spots and there apears to be no wood left! Gona take a break from if for deer hunting then back at it in Dec.

here is a pic of the bare transom! 1113111920a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a very sucky deer season ! I decided to get back on the boat project again, worked on it for a couple of hours tonite and finished the dissassembly work on the transom:D ,next step is to cut the old one out! The damage was worse than i thaught :eek: found lots of rotten wood so its a good thing im doing this now cus it was spooky!! Here are a couple of pics sorry they are a little dark but i had to use my phone cus i did not have my good camera . I am going to try to remove the transom in a couple of weeks i hope.:thumb:Pics will be later cant get them to upload for some reason.

Worked on the boat again today we cut out 90 percent of the transom and got it pulled out wow what did i get myself into:eek:! what a mess next time out i have to cut out some of the frloor so i can get to the hull and remove the old wood and can tab the new wood to the hull with fiberglass. here are some pics.

105_0570.jpg

105_0571.jpg

105_0574.jpg

105_0575.jpg

105_0576.jpg