My first ever Turkey!

flyman013

My dad asked if I wanted to sit in the woods and hunt turkey with him yesterday evening. How could I resist. He put me in a stand at the edge of a harvested bean field. I was faced into the woods when I looked over my shoulder and saw a bird. It was about 100 yards out and I was pretty sure she couldn't see me. I never thought she would come towards me, but she did. At about 30 yards, I took the shot.

My first turkey ever.

103_0034_1_958967.jpg

Awesome, congrats on the first turkey.

16 lb would be an absolute monster of a hen, you sure it wasn't a jake?

Tim

I guess it could have been a jake. The 16 lbs was just an estimate from the landowner, we never actually weighed the bird.

• 3 weeks later...
How does wild turkey taste dudes? I've never had it before.

Tasted mild compared to store bought but not too gamey for me. I put the breast in the rotiserrie with a coating of olive oil for about four hours. It was very good. Had some great sandwiches for a week. The legs went in for a soup. I liked the breast meat better.

• 4 weeks later...

Wild Turkey is way better than anything you get at Meijers. Problem is if you are like alot of hunters you will have about $250 invested in a wild turkey before you even put it in the oven. Don't get me wrong turkey hunting is every bit as much fun as deer hunting.