Muskegon fish report and boat tow.

Hello All,

Last Saturday (10/22) at 6am the wife and I hooked up the boat and left Lansing for Muskegon and Lake Michigan. Launched at Fisherman's Landing at 8:45 and made our way across Muskegon Lake by 9:30.

Beth wanted to go fishing for her birthday and I wanted to get some video from our new "Salmon Cam" mounted on the hard top. The camera feeds a DVR with 16G that is good for 4-5 hours. Happy birthday to us.

As we went through the channel on the way out to the big water, we set both riggers with Spin Doctors and DW flies (emerald green (SB) and monkey puke (Port) and turned on the camera and DVR. No other boats in the channel so we didn't expect any action. We were right.

Cleared the pier heads at 9:30 and into 52 degree clean water with 1' to 2' waves. Added 2 braid dipsies (set on 2) with Brad's Super Bait filled with oil tuna infused with minced garlic. Fished along the edges of dirty water for a bit and made a big circle just outside the mud line. No action and only one other fishing boat so we turned west and headed out to deeper water. Set two 30# 150' coppers with a DW Jawbreaker and greasy chicken on Z Board Big Daddies. Tried to keep the Fish Hawk speed at the ball around 2.5.

At 65' there were some bait balls and a few hooks but no takers. At 100' near net #21, we finally got a rip on the P rigger but it came unbuttoned. Found the leader had fouled in the treble hook. Weird. At 105' the water temp was 49* on top and 42* down 50'. Started seeing hooks around 40' so the riggers were set at 35' & 45'. Then the SB rigger tripped but the rod wasn't dancing. Reeled in a 5# darkie full of eggs. Strange to see her out this far this late? Released her. Then the P dipsy started screaming. Nice 15# chromer on a Brad's Black Magic. Had a heck of a time netting it because Beth had got her scarf wrapped up in the reel. But the fish jumped up on the swim platform and just laid there and waited. Got it all on the Salmon Cam and am working on getting the video edited and posted.

Continued west out to 150' with no further action and few marks. Radio talk up in White Lake was 116' top 50'. Spun around with the 2-3' waves on our stern and went back to 110' and turned south. Bam. The copper Jawbreaker started singing. Another nice 15 pounder. Then the call came in over the radio on CH-68. Vessel named "Fish Tales" was without power and needed assistance. Told him we would be there as soon as we got the gear pulled. Picked up three more fish while pulling lines. A shaker, a 5 pounder, and a 6# laker that was released.

When we were by net #21, we saw him heading out. Looked like he was going to Milwaukee as he disappeared into the horizon. He was 6 miles from us and we were out 6. It took us almost 2 hours to tow him to Bluffton Bay Marina. John was very grateful as he shuck my hand but offered no payment. That was OK with us because we believe that "what goes around comes around." ;)

It was a fun day on the water and she enjoyed her birthday present. That's what it's all about.

DD

IMG_5194-1.jpg

Good job on the fish and tow. That dude was lucky, not many boaters out now and even fewer that would go out 12 miles to tow him in. Pretty low of him to not offer you at least some gas money for that long tow.

WOW. Very good Karma on your side now DD. Very nice of you to go out and get a fewllow fisherman in theri time of need. I've been on both ends of that one. SUCKs being the guy on the dead end of the rope, but it pays ( when you take your turn ) to be the guy on the power end. Big thank you to you on behalf of all of us who have been on the other end.

GREAT job on the fish. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Thanks for the replies. Like you said, he was very lucky because there were no other boats out there.

If the weather is good, we're going back next weekend. Perhaps I'll give him a call to see what was wrong with his engine and maybe ask him for the location of his steelhead 'hot spot'. :grin:

That was super cool move on your part DD to help a stranded mariner in need.

Wow 12 miles out on Michigan this late in the season. I guess he is lucky that anyone was out there to give him a tow. Good Job on the late season fishing trip.

This was on my mind when we were out 21 miles last weekend. Boat is mechanically sound, but you never know when IT can happen. And you're right, this late in the year, there's no one around most of the time.

You're video is really great. I watched it with my sons who are hopefully going to be my first-third mates next year. Seeing you crank up those nice ones really gets them hooked, but now they think you can catch a fish every two minutes.

Great job on the video Dennis.

My wife is my favorite fishin partner too. Looks like you two were having fun.

Your boat still looks as good as it did on that cold miserable weekend in Ludinton a couple years ago.

Fish Tales docks directly behind me at Bluffton Bay. Wander down some time I think John owes you a Beer.

Great job on the video Dennis. My wife is my favorite fishin partner too. Looks like you two were having fun.Your boat still looks as good as it did on that cold miserable weekend in Ludinton a couple years ago. Fish Tales docks directly behind me at Bluffton Bay. Wander down some time I think John owes you a Beer.
Thanks Jim. They are pulling the docks at Fisherman's Landing next week so it looks like we'll have to wait until next season for that cold one.