Copper setups???

200 gets about 45-50' which is close to a full leadcore with a spoon. Our 270 and 300's have been absolutely on fire from June until and including last night. 45lb test Morgan Super Copper. If the fish are deeper than 80' then I snap a small Torpedo Diver on it vs running anything longer.........People have thanked me for that lol

I would say it would have to be 300-325 copper. been our hot setup this year. We run 32 lb copper. On this side of the big pond the fish have been deeper this year. We also run 250 copper and a 200 copper . The coppers have even out did our lead cores this year. My 2 biggest fish this year came on 325 coppers . Combined it took over an hour to bring in these two fish. Copper also acts differently then lead core , so it can turn off too. Just depends what the fish want and how deep you have to go.

I only have 45# at this point, however I think next summer we'll give the 32# a try. My best has been a 250' with a meat rig, and close in 2nd and 3rd are the 175 and the 125. You can't have just one.......:D

Last season my hot setup was a 225 45lb setup. Year before was a 300ft 45lb gets down to 60 ft i know cause in 60 ft i had sand in my swivels and mussels on my hooks. If you have a full core already. i woud consider a 225 and some dive bombs to get to that 80ft and 100ft depth when the fish are deeper. This way 1 rod would be like having 3 on board. Just my 2 cents.

I run mainly 32lb Blood Run and this stiff is awsome, if I was to only have one length it would be a 250 ,this is about the same as a 12 color of lead. And the main reason for the 32 is that it seems to be MUCH more forgiveing. And in my oppinion, it fishes a lot nicer than the 45. Just my 2 cents.

I run mainly 32lb Blood Run and this stiff is awsome, if I was to only have one length it would be a 250 ,this is about the same as a 12 color of lead. And the main reason for the 32 is that it seems to be MUCH more forgiveing. And in my oppinion, it fishes a lot nicer than the 45. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this %100 ^^

That 250' 32# will run about 50' down. 50' down is a zone that will normally get you fish.

Last season my hot setup was a 225 45lb setup. Year before was a 300ft 45lb gets down to 60 ft i know cause in 60 ft i had sand in my swivels and mussels on my hooks. If you have a full core already. i woud consider a 225 and some dive bombs to get to that 80ft and 100ft depth when the fish are deeper. This way 1 rod would be like having 3 on board. Just my 2 cents.

300 of 45lb trolling into the current will fish at 80 feet down. You definitely would have mussels on your hooks in 60 feet with 300 45lb regardless of which direction you might troll.

200 feet of 32lb fishes right at 40 feet down, identical to a full core. 200 feet of 45lb is 45-50 down closer to a 12 color.

300 of 45lb trolling into the current will fish at 80 feet down. You definitely would have mussels on your hooks in 60 feet with 300 45lb regardless of which direction you might troll.

200 feet of 32lb fishes right at 40 feet down, identical to a full core. 200 feet of 45lb is 45-50 down closer to a 12 color.

I didn't type it right i meant the 225 was at 60 down. 300s at 80 ft. When i edited it it sounded right in my head just didn't come out right in type.

I switched out my ten colors with 200 and 250 32lb Blood Run coppers. Extremely great success and fished extremely well. For those who have had bad experiences with 45lb copper, this is a completely different animal. Next season I am going to replace the rest of my five and seven colors with coppers as well. between the shorter 32lb coppers and my 300-400 45lb coppers, I fished 90% leadcore free this year. Next year I can see fishing 99% coppers over leadcores.

I switched out my ten colors with 200 and 250 32lb Blood Run coppers. Extremely great success and fished extremely well. For those who have had bad experiences with 45lb copper, this is a completely different animal. Next season I am going to replace the rest of my five and seven colors with coppers as well. between the shorter 32lb coppers and my 300-400 45lb coppers, I fished 90% leadcore free this year. Next year I can see fishing 99% coppers over leadcores.

Josh did you do better this year than last? How much difference did it make in the daily bag.

Josh did you do better this year than last? How much difference did it make in the daily bag.

hard to compare copper success from 2010 to 2011. Majority of of 2010 was fished inside 30 fow out of Racine because our water was so cold. In 2011 I fished mainly from 90-250 fow.

a couple observations from 2011 though - I did notice my catch rate higher than others that I know do not fish many or any coppers. Without purposely doing it, I have evolved to fishing 6 coppers and no leadcores. Other charters in Racine are either doing the same or planning on it for 2012.

I am by no means saying leadcore is no longer effective. Just for me personally, copper is currently better suited to my fishing style.

Im with you Josh, I swiched this year, the only leadcore left on the boat as of write now is a pair of 3 colors and in the spring I think they will be turned into 50 coppers. Ps. I do not like dive bombs, just my oppinion.:)

Im with you Josh, I swiched this year, the only leadcore left on the boat as of write now is a pair of 3 colors and in the spring I think they will be turned into 50 coppers. Ps. I do not like dive bombs, just my oppinion.:)

I am with terry on the Dive Bombs, just 1 more thing to mess with when u are trying to get a fish into the boat, after i take the board off I really hate to have anyone touch the line befor we net the fish.

• 4 weeks later...

Great and timely post.

I recently purchased 8 new Daiwa Saltist STTLW50LCHA HS reels and 2 used Okuma Catalina CT-45D LC reels. I'm considering spooling up all reels with 32# Blood Run Super Copper.

Since these are LC reels, budget permitting, is there any reason not to spool up each reel with at least 400' of the 32# Super Copper? Using the LC, I could simply let out the appropriate length of copper for any given situation. It seems this setup would offer far greater flexibility.

I see most are using a mono between the copper and the backing. For the backing I was considering using about 150 yds of a 40 or 50 lb superbraid. Any recommendations on the weight and brand of superbraid that you have found to work well?

I am also considering the Shimano Talora rods as they appear to be highly recommended for use with copper.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mark

It is my understanding that copper and leadcore should be run completely out and boards attached to the backer. The two things that come into play are the wear the releases have on the copper or core and the constant wear the guides would have on them. I know some have segmented the stuff but to me splices are where failure is likely to occur. There are others here with a lot more knowledge than me on this subject. I'm sure they will chime in and we will all learn something.:)

Thanks Frank.

I guess the wear isue makes sense. I didn't realize the extent of wear that the releases would have on the copper. That would certainly change my plans and decrease the amount of copper line that I was planning to purchase.

Mark