Pesty sailboats

Turfwrench

While fishing out of Pt. Sanilac this past weekend I had the pleasure again of playing chicken with the sailboats. Not just once, but twice. I was just over 1 1/2 miles out from the harbor, only boat in the area and twice had sailboats take dead aim from a distance and then veer directly across my bow. I don't understand their mentality. Although this is not the first time this has happened out of this port and many others have experienced the same situation elsewhere, it just makes me wonder what possesses these people to do it. Sure, I could almost understand if there are a pile of boats around but when you are the only one within a couple miles what gives. So I took a couple of pics and now they can be internet stars showing their prowess on the water taking on the poor small fishermen. Unfortunately they will probably never know as I am sure they don't read fishing forums. There is a lot of water out there, a little respect goes a long way.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Sail-boaters are annoying! I have ran into the same "train of thought" on the west side of Michigan. Similar scenario. We were fishing out of Onekama, there were two sailors coming down from Frankfort. We watched them heading south for a very long time. Both came too close IMO. We ended up on an east troll heading in for the day, mind you the sailboat was on a south course, and instead of going behind us a bit as he had several miles to do this, he cut right in front of us. Forcing us to do a 90* turn. I'm not a big fan of people like this. Just remember when they're under motor power they have the same rules to follow as any other power boat.

Sail-boaters are annoying! I have ran into the same "train of thought" on the west side of Michigan. Similar scenario. We were fishing out of Onekama, there were two sailors coming down from Frankfort. We watched them heading south for a very long time. Both came too close IMO. We ended up on an east troll heading in for the day, mind you the sailboat was on a south course, and instead of going behind us a bit as he had several miles to do this, he cut right in front of us. Forcing us to do a 90* turn. I'm not a big fan of people like this. Just remember when they're under motor power they have the same rules to follow as any other power boat.

I have seen the same , and have seen some when under motor power and must be very stupid, as they still did the same thing.I could understand if it was in close quarters that they need to move there because of the wind, but not when 1/2 of lake Michigan is empty and no one else in site.Stop using us fishing boat for a pivot point. I wounder if we are not under power if the circumstances change. does that change things for us?

We were fishing out of Muskegon in June and had one cut across the back and take out my 200,250,300 coppers, lost all boards and tackle. I only salvaged the backer which was power pro and did not break right away. That sail boat received a very friendly visit after pulling all the lines. I am pretty sure he understood how stupid he was and that was a costly mistake for him. Besides this incident I have had to use my large airhorn 3 other times for sail boats cutting across the back within 150'. None of these had sails up, all under easy control of a motor. I really really dislike the blow boat folks. No respect........

Edited by Eliminator
Spelling

We were fishing out of Muskegon in June and had one cut across the back and take out my 200,250,300 coppers, lost all boards and tackle. I only salvaged the backer which was power pro and did not break right away. That sail boat received a very friendly visit after pulling all the lines. I am pretty sure he understood how stupid he was and that was a costly mistake for him. Besides this incident I have had to use my large airhorn 3 other times for sail boats cutting across the back within 150'. None of these had sails up, all under easy control of a motor. I really really dislike the blow boat folks. No respect........

Losing that much gear to an arrogant sailboater would warrant a healthy dose of whoop-ass. Just make sure there's no witnesses.:thumb:

I typically show them the "moon". That and when I'me coming in from a trip, I typically like to get close and say hello - with the one finger wave.

I've got a GREAT picture from a mast sticking up out of the water in Florida in the inner coastal. That's what I call a good start.

I guess we all concur about the rag/blow boaters. I would guess these cheapskates never owned a powerboat in their lives, nor really learned and read up on the USCG rules of the road. Ask almost all, and they will tell you they have priority over ALL boats on the water because of their more inherent inability to maneuver. Truth be known, seaplanes have legal priority over ALL, and blow boaters also become a powerboat when powering and not sailing, as mentioned already by a wise capt..

I believe that regardless what kind of boat that you operate you are financially responsible for any damages that your boat or your wake may cause. I am one of the boat operators who doesn't give a hoot. You pull in front of me if I hit you and your boat flips then mabey you should not have pulled in front of me. I love the guys who have planers all over the place too. If you cut me off and I snip a planer you won't do it again. Don't be cussing at me if you pull in front I am not moving so you better have your speed up. I missed a blow boat last year by a couple of feet after he cut in front of me while he was under power. When he got done cussing at me I calmly told him next time I will hit you.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure if we are set on a straight course with lines set, we have the right of way. Either way, blow boaters suck, its lame, get a motor and go somewhere. Its not even convenient to fish on those ridiculous looking boats!