Fished solo last night. Went 2-2 if you count the 12 inch free riding coho when I pulled lines at 7:30. First fish was a 13# laker (released) in 230 fow, 90 down on a MS blue flounder slider. Fished from 180 fow to 250 and marked fish all night with very few above 100 ft. There were a few boats in the 100-150 range but not sure how they did. Surface temps were around 62 everywhere.

I tried every size and color spoon I had with nothing happening. Nothing on the dipsey with a SD and blue bubble either.

Oh well, it sure was nice out there. Plan on going all weekend so will post the results...hopefully with better luck.

I would appreciate some helpful hints if anyone cares to throw them out there. :D

Good luck, Dave

Why is everyone releasing lakers???

Don't you guys know the rules changed this year.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/table1-GLtrout-splake_273185_7.pdf

It's open until October 31st.

Or' date=' could it be you just don't like lakers, which is fine.

Just curious.[/quote']

Most of the guys dont keep lakers anytime, they aren't the best eating fish in the lake. But u can make them taste pretty good if u take care in processing them. There is also an advisory about consuming Lake trout fm the great lakes.

Take a look at the Satellite link and u will see why the fishing is slow. The water is turbid all the way up past point Sable. From Pentwater South it is really bad. Down in St Joe u would have to get to mid lake to find clean water.

Mike's right. The water is all messed up - cloudy.

However, we keep lakers and smoke them.

Tastier than smoked salmon in our opinion.

And, if you have to die some way I'd rather go eating smoked lake trout than smoking cigs.

Pretty soon they will tell us not to breath the air - oh wait, they already do that in some places.

Not trying to dig on you Mike, just the government.

And' date=' if you have to die some way I'd rather go eating smoked lake trout than smoking cigs.

Pretty soon they will tell us not to breath the air - oh wait, they already do that in some places.

Not trying to dig on you Mike, just the government.[/quote']

amen.

Try fishing up high. I was 4 for 7 today ( I dumped # 5 back in the lake out of the net accidently:(. 3 color was the best going in and out of the silt a bit north of Holland. Lots of acrobatics today with steelies jumping and fighting like crazy. I only got one or 2 hits with one keeper and a throw back down lower. Speed was 2.9-3.1 at the ball.

Never said I release em just said a lot of the guys have a prejudice against them, I smoke them the can the smoked fish for winter use. Makes a great cream cheese dip at the holidays and I like to just eat it grilled with a topping of Kraft ceasar dressing YUM.

I stopped eating lakers and feeding them to my family many years ago when I got back the scale sample report for a pair of lakers we caught out of Saugatuck. 20" fish @ 7 yrs old, 21" @ 8 yrs. NEVER thought they spent that much time in the lake to grow so little!

Bioaccumulation being what it is and the 3 primary concerns of location, age and feeding habits, I figured 2 out of 3 was bad (with all due respect to Meatloaf). If I have guests aboard that don't share my concerns we'll add them to the cooler and I am sure to fillet and trim them very carefully. My b-i-l will take them to smoke--but he smokes cigs also!