Wire rod help

Well with everything I had going on this summer I only made it to Lake Mi 3 times. And didn't add any new salmon gear.

This summer I will be adding 2 wire set-ups. I see that Okuma and Shimano have two different styles of rollers.

I am looking at 8 or 8'6'' inside divers

Can anyone tell me the difference in them?

And I also see that gander mountain has rods with afco rollers and roller swival tips for $80. does anyone use them?

Thanks Steve

If you can afford Shimonos, I'd say get them. I have the Okuma Blue diamond rods and had a couple of times this summer where the wire got along side the roller and got stuck. The Shimano rods have a lot smaller guides to keep the wire on the rollers better. I'd also be interested in Tony's (Eyefull's) non-roller wire rods. I'm not sure what they go for, but that gets rid of the whole issue of rollers, swivel tips, and all that.

I normally take quads or snow machines in trade for wire rods:lol:. Just kidding, but they are expensive. A good set of Fuji Silicon Nitride guides runs about $60. Build a bullet proof handle and reel seat and before you know it, the rods price out at $200 or so depending on the blank used and other options. I have built a couple of them using the Torpedo Tip with great results. Here is one of them built for Jay D.

http://youtu.be/M-nzeLMF57s

I've ran both Shimano and Okuma Blue Diamond. Gotta say, a roller is not necessary but it is a personal preference of mine- no particular reason why. Had great luck with Blue Diamond but with it had a bit more backbone. Shimano's are just awesome. Matthew from Torpedo let me use his wire rod a few times with the Torpedo tip and it was great.

I normally take quads or snow machines in trade for wire rods:lol:. Just kidding, but they are expensive. A good set of Fuji Silicon Nitride guides runs about $60. Build a bullet proof handle and reel seat and before you know it, the rods price out at $200 or so depending on the blank used and other options. I have built a couple of them using the Torpedo Tip with great results. Here is one of them built for Jay D.

http://youtu.be/M-nzeLMF57s

Hey, no issues here. I think you are asking a very reasonable price for custom rods and hopefully I can add some to my spread at some point. Now it's just not in the budget with school and such. :thumb:

The Shimanos are great, the swivel tips are pricey. The Okuma rods arent bad but the rollers suck a buddy of mine replaced the tips on his blue diamonds with twillys and he says they work fine now. We switched to Diawas with swivel tips this year and they were great all year, and a lot cheaper than the Shimanos. P.S. You want a softer rod for wire. Fast rod plus no strech wire plus mag diver=a lot of lost fish and gear.

P.S. You want a softer rod for wire. Fast rod plus no strech wire plus mag diver=a lot of lost fish and gear.

You're right, I do want a soft rod, but I also NEED backbone to steer a fish around and the Okuma's just didn't have it with mag divers- standard divers, they're fine. As for the stretch in the wire- if you're losing gear with the diver- check your knot, if you're losing it after the diver- add a snubber.

You're right, I do want a soft rod, but I also NEED backbone to steer a fish around and the Okuma's just didn't have it with mag divers- standard divers, they're fine. As for the stretch in the wire- if you're losing gear with the diver- check your knot, if you're losing it after the diver- add a snubber.

I agree on all points. A reel with a good drag is also very important with wire rods.

I'm not loosing gear. I was pointing out that if there's no give in the rod something somewhere will give!:eek: Even with a snubber.

I know of some guys using old LJ Enduraglass broom handle roller rods- eeesh! They do rip off alot of fish, I like TDR's for braid and with a Mag diver it's just perfect with braid, would work with wire too I suppose but would likely add a torpedo tip. Someone said keep your drags light- I totally agree with that.

I think I paid around 120 for them. Blue diamonds were 80 when I bought them.added a 45 dollar torpedo swivel tip and still didnt like them. Daiwa's come with a swivel (fuji, I think). Paired them up with some older daiwa sealine 45 GL's that I had upgraded with power handles and carbon fiber drags from tuna tom's. Also,stay away from the nineteen strand torpedo brand wire.

How come??

I had the 19 strand on my low wire divers for a few years. This year it kept popping single strands. When a single strand breaks, it balls up at the rod tip, making it imposable to reel in.

I switched it over to the 7 strand Blood Run 30# mid summer.

To OP.

I have Shamono Talora Roller 8'-0" Rods, with Torpedo Tips from Tony. The rods are very nice, and perform great. The best price I could find them was at Franks Great Outdoors.

• 3 weeks later...

Torpedo makes a very nice swivel tip that can be added to any rod in about ten minutes and a hot glue gun

Shamano rods are not expensive for what you get untill you get into the ones that have the swivel tips

I often buy the 8' shamano telora roller rods and put this tip on it

may be you can see it in theis pictures here they put a extra guide rite in front of the roller that keeps the wire deep in the roller all the time

sweet set up

newwebstore001.jpg