Wire divers Vs braid divers

Hello quick question. This was my first year salmon fishing and needless to say Im addicted! Im already thinking of what upgrades i want to think about over winter. I've talked to many people and read many posts where people say wire divers are the best rods on there boat? I have 2 braid divers and have caught a few fish on them, but nothing spectacular I guess the question is whats the advantage of wire over braid? I know the wire goes deeper is that it? Just curious before I go out and buy some new roller rods. And where do you get the wire at? I don't think i've ever seem that as a option at any of my local tackle shops? And while were at it depth raider or fishhawk??

Thanks

Mike

The wire divers get a little deeper and that is about the only difference, the one thing u should look at is the rods. The Wire rods should at least have a twill tip but roller rods with a swivel tip are the recommended way to go if u have unlimited funds a Talora rod can cost more than the reel. I went to Wire last year and found I get more strikes and that I have a better hook to land ratio than I did with Power Pro. My dipseys were really good this year but unlike some I only run a max of 4. I do have 4 downriggers on my boat and they were the most consistant presentation of the year. If u have the money the fishhawk is a good deal because u dont have to use the coated cable, but the Depth raider I have works great.

..there are other factors when fishing dipseys that can put more fish in the boat regardless of wire or braid..such as leader length

I run braid, haven't switched anything over to wire YET. I may. BUt the above sentiment sums it up. I made a few adjustments this year with my dispys and it has put more fish in my boat in years past. I'm not opposed to wire, and think that it's just like anything else. The more time you use them the more confident you are in the presentation and the more productive it becomes. Good luck

I've heard and read alot of well known Captains that think wire creates a bit of a harmonic buzz in the water that drive the fish crazy and I can honestly say my wire divers out produce my braid (wire low, braid high on both sides). Could it be the depths being targeted??? Sure, but I have to say that there's nothing quite like fighting a fish on wire- it's an absolute blast! By far my favorite setup!

I am currently running braid and wire but eventually I will switch to all wire for the divers. we also seem to miss more fish on the braid than the wire, I think it may have to do with how limp the braid is. I also like the durability you get with the wire.

For probes I have the cannon intelli troll and so far seems to be a pretty good unit. I went with the Cannon because it can easily taken off the cable and it has a pressure sensor for actual depth. The coated cables can be a hassle at times and that is were the fish hawk would be nice. I think all of the S & T units on the market today are quality products and they will all help you put more fish in the boat.

Wire is by far much much more fun to fight a fish on! As far as hook up ratios, everyone has their own little saying. Personally i went to longer snubbers and longer leaders. Baby the fish on their first run, then once they turn crank em in and dont let em turn again. We run 4 wires at all times :)

As far as probes, we put a fishhawk x4 on this year. Absolutely love it. Although the screen is WAY too bright when its dark out, and has no contrast adjustment.

We have 4 wire divers, 2 braided slide divers and 2 mono divers, we run slides when the fish are in the top 35ft. then wires when the fish move deeper. I love having all the divers.

Gotta agree with Matt I use my mono rigs when the fish are in shallow water and start using the wire when we get out over 75 FOW. Just be sure u are consistant with your presentations when you have success.

I only have 1 dipsey and it is a braid. Hopefully will have another next year. Sounds like I should consider wire. What are the pro's and con's to wire? Are they difficult to fish with?

Regarding probes- has anyone used the one you put on the rigger and it tells you the temp at each 5 ft increments? I think it is a fishhawk?

Has anyone considered a 12 step class for the addicts on this site?

1990 walk around sabre, took me awhile to find one like this but I love it, a very good fishing boat.

Yes thats a great boat!!! It'll give you a lot of great years of dipsey fishing.

I switched over to wire this season and love it!! When you get your first fish on it you will not believe the feel of the fish on it,you can feel every little movement.As posted earlier resist the temptation to tighten the drag to soon let them tire a bit first. They also don't seem to be as bad with the sea fleas.

Enjoy!!