Big jons and Depth Raider

Ok just bought 2 big jon electrics and I am wondering how you guys get the bead from the auto stop to pass through the antenna for the Depth Raider. As of right now I am using my manual for the probe but would like to set up to use the electric , I don't want to crimp the cable either don't want to weaken the cable as I have already donated a probe to the deep. I have heard that the scotty auto stop bead should work and that is not crimped on .

• 1 month later...

I took 4" of 1/2 dia copper tube and flared the ends, drilled a hole in one end, use a SS nut and bolt to hook the cut off antenna to it and zip tied it to my Big Jon Pro Tournament DR boom.

Here are a couple of photos:

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/3/1/9/dept_raider_antenna.jpg

I rerouted the wires underneath the gunnels using a rubber boot since this photo was taken

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/3/1/9/depth_raider.jpg

PS: those scotty beads work great. I put one on each end my Big Jon bead stop

use the scotty beads in place of the crimps put the antena as close to the cable reel as pisible so the stop bead does not have to go thru it

one great reason to use a fish hawk over any thing with a coated cable

no coated cable to deal with or the antena that the cable has to pass thru

Well when I was putting the boat away for the season I ran into another problem and I have to fix the cable behind the unit with the readout. It seams that after 2 seasons the plugs have come apart on both ends. I wish when we pay high dollar for equipment that it would last a good long time and not come apart.

At least it was at the end of the season not the start.. I will most likely make the same antenna set up as you posted. With another cable and keep the other antenna on my manual unit. Only bummer is that I have to replace the clincher on the end of the cable.

clinchers should be reusable

you just have to push it apart with a screw driver

this is a cannon set up we have to leave some bare cable to make the auto stops work

with the big jon we leep the cable coverd and the tail out of the clichers gets a bullet splice to the probe to make it easily removable

dadsolderpictures2023.jpg

dadsolderpictures2026.jpg

dadsolderpictures2027.jpg

dadsolderpictures2028.jpg

clinchers should be reusable

you just have to push it apart with a screw driver

this is a cannon set up we have to leave some bare cable to make the auto stops work

with the big jon we leep the cable coverd and the tail out of the clichers gets a bullet splice to the probe to make it easily removable

dadsolderpictures2026.jpg

are you using SS wire connectors ? I am using something similar for the probe ,it doesn't connect to the eye on the probe it relies on the weight on the cable to make its connection. How deep will the probe give you the temp and speed done this way?

Jim

With this set up in the picture above 150' with 100% reliability

with the big john set up where you dont need any bare wire 200'

yes we use ss connectors

we also will use charging system filters when needed and never route the signal cable over the rigger motor or by and speakers or with and hot wires that cary a charging system current these will all interfeer with signal quality and strenth

we dont install a lot of depth raiders or any other that use coated signal carring cable

the fish hawk x4 has raised the bar when it comes to speed and temp probes

and after you have to change a coated cable a couple times the price savings is gone

as soon as the coating gets beat up or starts cracking frome use or old age you signal reliability is gone and its time for a new cable

These are all great tools when used properly and understanding what they are telling us

as in the pictures below

Its amazing what kind of currents you can have as in these here on a flat calm day

with out the speed and temp probe fishing on a day like this speed wise would be pure luck

you would not think this could be posible on such a calm day but the numbers dont lie

you can see on the graff where we where checking temps and speeds at different depths

by the time we got the down speed dialed in we where at speed over ground .9 to get a 2.3 speed at the ball

then it was GAME ON doubles and tripples filled the box quick

fishing7302011007.jpg

fishing7302011006.jpg

fishing7302011009.jpg