Marine Radio's

GLF

• 4 months later...

This will be absolutely no help to ya bro, I can't remember the name of the radio in my boat....lol....

But, when I pull the cover soon I'll let ya know.

No feedback.

No breaking up feedback.

Great reception.

The one I got with the boat was a Polaris. I still have it in the basement and worked great until the numbers disappeared. Thinkin bout pickin up some pieces from Radio Shack and fixin it though!

T

I directed the same question to a CG officer a few yrs ago. I asked him for a brand name, and he said he couldn't favor manufacturers because of his position. I then asked him what brand of VHF radio do you use on your boat. ICOM was his reply. I have a IC-M45 that I used on my 16 footer and moved to the boat I have now. I have more room in this boat and if I was going to buy a new one I would go with one of the larger ones. The radio works fantastic.

Last Summer I was talking to someone in Harbor Beach from AuGres. Everything must have been perfect, to jump the whole thumb of MI.

I just bought a Uniden, don't recall the model. It has DSC. I was told that the antennae is more important than the radio. Spend money on a good one with the solid core, not wire. I think that mine was around $100 and I could pick up guys in the Muskegon channel when I was fishing south of Holland. That seemed pretty good to me.

I have a Uniden that is 3 years old and don't have any issues with it. The reception is very good. I can't comment on the transmission. Although, I paid a little(lot) more than $100.

My buddy has a Raymarine radio that's 8 years young on his boat. The transmission is very good. The reception is also very good. I can always receive his transmissions very clear from quite a distance away. His also has a multi-channel programmable scanner that mine does not. I personally like that feature.

When I bought mine, the guy at the store told me two things. First, get a good one that you want. Second, the reception is much more determined by the sender than it is by you recieving. The higher quality radios with good atennas will be recieved better than others.

Happy shopping

I would shop for features you like between an ICOM and UNIDEN. Personally, we have an ICOM and it has worked flawless for years. As previously stated, the atenna is the most important component. If you are going to mess around rigging up a new radio, buy a great antenna that will last last. I don't know the model of the Skakespeare antenna right off the top of my head right now, but we can talk to boats in Pentwater and some days Wisconsin. It was around $100-$125 for the antenna a few years ago.

Glf

I have had, over the years Polaris. Ray Jefferson, And Uniden and found they all work fine as long as you spend a Little extra money and buy a really good antena. This will determine, more of, how well it will work. Im not even sure if they make polaris radios still. Currently have a Uniden and works well

They all work decent dude. As long as you aren't shoppin at a flea market.

Just purchase a reputable name brand, a GOOD ATTENNA, and make sure that it's waterproof.

I've got good radios and attennas, and can reach all over the place. But why?

Like I'm gonna run 200 miles to find a fish. Mayyybeeee. On my small rig I WILL run across the bay at 55 mph if I hear that Walleye Express is hammerin 'em on an Eastern reef or sumpin. :grin:;)