Internet Yelling

Priority1

I just recently read a post that was done in all caps. I didn't want to embarrass anyone about it because maybe they are not aware of internet etiquette. Others also may not be aware that an all Cap post is internet YELLING. I'm not sure how anyone else feels about this subject but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Personally I don't take offense to it because in reality a cap post is not in my face. I do know that a lot of the younger internet savvy people do take offense to anyone YELLING on the net. I think it's acceptable to cap a word or two for emphasis. This is just my take on things. I'm not directing this at any individual and the reason this is posted here in General Discussion and not quoted and posted in a thread where the alleged yelling took place. It's been said that if you really want people to listen, whisper don't yell. Let's hear it.:)

You're correct Frank. We had a gal at our corporate office that would send messages in all caps, and in pretty colors. We here in our satellite office really got annoyed with it. Finally it was addressed. It certainly isn't profesional, and for someone with an education should be common sense. We always wondered if when she contacts any customers or contractors via e mail if they felt that she was mean cause she was always yelling.....:no:

I think I too did this a few years ago in error, not knowing that the etiquette was to the contrary. Having said that, I now have adjusted the posts to small letters, unless I want to make my point firm and clear. I think it's just a matter of not knowing, not just wanting to yell out, but that's just my opinion. Once someone knows, they either adjust, or continue to want to do it THEIR WAY, irregardless. Bold caps and italics are also an option to make a point firm.....LOL.

Well get a life?? Or a real job?? Anyone who has any idea of doucuments,emails,estiimates knows that caps means, very important, or pretty much saying shut up this is the way it is! So yes its yelling I'm with frank, and why didn't you say get a life in caps??? Or did you mean. Your saying that under your breath??

When I started this thread I put it in General Discussion to isolate it from any all cap post. The reason I did this was not to be harsh or rude to anyone that may have not known that some are offended by an all cap post. I think data presented that is not on an open forum doesn't come under that same rules as chat or open forums. I tried to keep this impersonal so as not to offend anyone. As I stated in my initial post the caps don't bother me but I know they bother other users. I have heard others comment on all caps in a chat session saying, "Are You Pissed? If not why are you yelling?":lol: I was asking for opinions on a particular subject and kept it impersonal. Contrary to others beliefs I do have a life and feel blessed to have this site as a part of it.:) Peace to all my brothers and sisters.

i guess im one of the guilty, i didnt have any idea caps was yelling. even tho i usely just use lower case letters anyway. it wasnt because i didnt want to yell. but i do use caps when i want to make a point or get someones attension. like when i put, LOL. i always use caps. but i do good just to be able to post at all. i just never had any reason to use the computer much. just for searching things up on line, and surfing ebay. i just started the forum thing and really enjoy it, and i dont do anything just to try and pi$$ anybody off. so if there is anything elce im doing that shouldnt be done, its not because i want to be rude, its that i really dont know. my computer skills are just one finger and hunt and peck. and im sure there is alot of us out there that dont know all these things. i just asked my wife if she knew this, and she did, but she has been on computers alot longer than i have.

myself i never paid any attension to what type letters was being used. i always was more concerned with the content of the post. so if your telling me a better way to catch fish or where to catch them i really dont care how you post it. just be good enough to post it. or you can just pm me the info and yell at the top of your letters,LOL.

i do some emails to family and friends and have used caps, and oversized, and colored, and custom lettering just playing around. just because i found out i could do those things,LOL.. and that was all good i guess, because none of them said anything.

i have found its better for me if someone uses caps or oversized letters. makes it eaiser for me to read them. but if it is understood by most that caps is yelling i can understand it bothering some.

it was nice of you to inform us of this, even tho it doesnt bother you or me. its still nice to know. and this old dog is always wanting to learn. it kinda like using punctuation marks and spelling. it seems to offend some when this happens. but there is a few of us that just does the best we can. my step dad tried to kill my mom when i was just a kid. he busted her skull and one of her arms where he beat her with a 22 rifle. so she was laid up for a long time and had 7 kids to raise. so i quit going to school and went to work to help her. i did go 2 weeks in the 6th grade. and got my ged while serving in the marine corps, working on jet aircraft. and even took some classes at ivy tech. i was going to ivy tech for photography, but i had to take a math class and a psychology class. but it didnt help my spelling or my punctuation marks. so i still just do the best i can and if you,ll look over my spelling and punctuation marks, i,ll do my best not to yell to LOUD,LOL. i,m 60 now and have made it just fine. i did have to always work for a living except for a short time i took a supervisors job at the factory where i use to work, untill i got sick and had to quit working. so theres just not much i can do about those things. but i can remember to not yell on here. that is ofcourse unless that is my intent,LOL. and i am sorry for such a long post. now go catch some big fish.

sherman