Coating a downrigger ball

eas111

I am curious on this subject too. Do you think that a rigger weight with a coating "glides" through the water better than an uncoated one? A coating would increase the volume of the weight and, one would think, increase the amount of friction with the water, increasing blowback.

I coated mine with Plasti-dip (black). I got it from Ace-Hardware. I coated mine to keep the lead from marking up the boat. Joseph may be correct that the smoother surface may decrease blowback but I doubt the results would be noticeable.

same here but got it from menards..they have a spray can version and a brush on version..i used the spray and it works great

same here but got it from menards..they have a spray can version and a brush on version..i used the spray and it works great

I would also say plasti-dip would work well, havent sprayed a ball with it, but i blacked out the emblems on my truck and it works great.

I am curious on this subject too. Do you think that a rigger weight with a coating "glides" through the water better than an uncoated one? A coating would increase the volume of the weight and, one would think, increase the amount of friction with the water, increasing blowback.

I am wanting to do this as a little experiment. A recent fishing trip has me thinking that maybe my 'non-coated' downrigger balls might have something to do with my catch rates. I've thought this the last few seasons with no real proof. This year I was fishing with a family member with an identical boat, riggers, and rods and fished in the same waters, depths, speeds, lures, and distance from riggers. The only difference being the downrigger balls. Mine are round and lead and theirs were finned and coated. Their catch rates being much better than mine. I'm probably nuts but it gives me something to do in the off season.