New to the mid west

Good morning all. I always feel like I'm trying to fill out a profile for some dating site doing these intros. I'm a 33 year old married white male that likes to take long walks on the beach...lol

Sorry, got a little ahead of myself.

I am an Operations Controller at Coast Guard Sector Lake Michigan. I just moved here from Astoria Oregon where I did a 4 year tour coordinating search and rescue missions on the Columbia River. This is my first time being in the great lakes area and I thought registering here with you guys would be a great way for me to learn the area better.

I am open to any questions that you may have in regards to search and rescue and boating safety. I do not know everything, but I will do what I can to get you an answer as soon as possible.

Ron

Welcome Ron, I too am a transplanted Oregonian, been in the Midwest since 1967, I hope you enjoy your time here. The mission here is the same as in the Northwest, but a lot less commercial fishing and heavy traffic. Mostly recreational and sport boating along with Great Lakes commercial shipping. The lake is like a microcosm of the Ocean and she gets rough with a short chop rather than the huge swells. U will get a lot of calls. Thanks for your service.

welcome ron. this is a great place to get started on lake michigan. there is some really helpful people on here that are more than willing to share there fishing expertese. all you have to do is ask. and your comments are always welcome, most of the time you wont get slammed on here even when some dont agree with you,LOL.

pm already sent.

sherman

Welcome Ronnie , There are a few of us from Milwaukee, What kind of boat do you have ? Do you fish? Is it possible to test a DSC radio for proper operation? Where can I get a Safety certificate for my boat?

Right now I don't have a boat (just the work boats...lol) I spend most of my off time on my motorcycle and quads. I have fished in the past, but usually more into motorsports than anything.

There is no official test for the DSC. If you do hit your DSC button, we will treat it as an actual search and rescue case until told otherwise. I do recommend ensuring your DSC radio is registered with current information and also connected to your GPS. This will help in a few ways if you are in distress. First it will pass us information on yourself (including phone numbers to contact persons for description of clothing) and info on your boat so we know what we are looking for if you are unable to answer your radios at any time. The GPS connection will pass us your current position in order for us to locate you faster and make the searching more efficient.

As far as the safety certificate for your boat, you can go to the Vessel Safety Check website at http://www.safetyseal.net/GetVSC/ you type in your zip code and it will give you the e-mail and name of all examiners in your area.

Hope this helps.

Ron

As far as the safety certificate for your boat, you can go to the Vessel Safety Check website at http://www.safetyseal.net/GetVSC/ you type in your zip code and it will give you the e-mail and name of all examiners in your area.

Ron

Have tried twice to have an examiner look at the boat , enter my info and they never get back to me.

As far as fishing I would be happy to take you out . I think your license is free but you would have to check with the WDNR to make sure.

I dont' have the biggest boat but it is comfortable for 3 to 4 . Just Let me know.

Jim

Welcome to the board, what are your thoughts on using torpedos to clear out the jack wagons who bock the gaps in the spring and fall.

lol... I personally think it's a great idea. Professionally, it's probably not allowed. :D

Ron