What a summer!!!!!!

mattmishler

I never thought that the summer would have turned out that good. I got the job through dick from adventure 1, I fished with him from one time and his first mate andy at the time was gonna fish for the season so i looked for a mate job else where. It was nice to have dick back me up to tell my new boss at the time that i could fish.

6 months later i look back and say why didnt i do this sooner, it makes you alot better fisherman from seeing day to day what the fish are doing. I learned more than just fishing, found out what happens when you lose your hydro steering, dealing with customer after little sleep. Seeing the little variables that make fish bite, working with the company that we use daily ..awesome summer cant wait to do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's awesome! It truly is a life style that few people have the pleasure of living. It isn't just about catching fish or making money. Working, living, on a charter boat on a daily basis is an experience that is hard to describe or explain. Most importantly, it definitely humbles you as a person and fisherman too. It may sound funny but you also develop a different, almost personal relationship with the fish.

Make sure you continue to learn and pay attention to the little things. When the time comes and you are running you own boat its all going to pay off. I started when I was 12 and by the time I was your age I was just going through the motions of going to the boat, fishing, cleaning fish, fishing again, cleaning fish/boat, repeat the next day. Now that I'm running my own boat day in and day out, I wish I could go back and absorb more and enjoy it more. I let it become a job and I greatly regret it.

hope you have a great winter off and look forward to seeing you in Grand Rapids again, hopefully a west sider like me will be welcome back again! Oh, and my number one charter fishing fish catching tip, country music catches fish!

Sounds like you had an awesome summer Matt. Best summer school you can get and you can't beat the ride on a bigger boat. We had a great season too and I can't wait till next year either. The August bite and great weather and those big kings will be memorable. Bet we are going to see some real hogs next year.

I still want the pins and that bag of walleyes is still in the freezer in Ludington. I might fish Onekama on a buddies boat in Oct so maybe we can hook up then in Manistee. If not, I'm eating em and have to get you some fresh ones next year.;)

Oh, and my number one charter fishing fish catching tip, country music catches fish!

I will second that, though most of the people I have on my boat had country and then wonder why we don't catch as many fish :P

Since you posted Matt I was reading this in the paper today, it made me think of some of your comments and posts. Article The only time I've ever been on a charter (for my 12th birthday), the Captain told me I should look into getting a job mating on a boat. I blew it off at the time but regret it. I would love to charter my own boat some day and this article just gave me a little more of a drive to do it. Sounds like you had a great summer and a great job on top of it :thumb:

Great Job Matt,

I'm glad that it work out for you.

The only time you fished with me I was impressed with what I saw

you do know your way around a back of a boat.:thumb:

I'm sure you know a lot more after this season.

Capt. Craig told me he had a good one.

Glad you had a good time this summer, and that's what it's all about, FUN. Matt jumped on board with me for an evening trip one day. Good guy and like Dick said, knows his way around. Hope to get you out with me again before it's all over this year Matt...:thumb: