Fluorocarbon is it a difference maker?

BRIAN0214

I am going to try my fishing skills in the Salmon festival fishing contest Saturday. I am thinking of upgrading my leaders to fluorocarbon. Is it worth it? How many of you guys use it?

I do think it makes a difference when the fish are fussy. When they have a feed bag on it doesn't seem to matter

Ask any charter in manistee what there running, its mono. The reason, its cheap it holds, theres not to many guys on line prostaffs, if we we one one we would run it, the fact of it we have 20 lead core and copper rods, there a ton of flor right there, add your riggers and divers leaders it get costly fast. Big kings are hard on line to so you have to cut and change for nicks and such.

I'm not dead set on the fact that the clearity of fluorocarbon over clear mono leaders is a major deal--I have a hard time arguing we get more bites running fluorocarbon.

I think some of the other properties make a bigger difference, especially abrasion resistance. Fly leaders take a beating and they hold up way better if you have fluorocarbon. Also, fluorocarbon on the long leaders (copper/lead/dipsys) make a big difference when the fish runs in the wire diver or downrigger wire at the boat.

Sometimes the stretch in clear mono has its advantages too.

We run Triplefish as well, its a great line. I run it mainly for abrasion resistance and we lose less fish and the line holds up way better than clear mono.

It's probably not going to make a difference fishing the mud or river. It might in the clear water. I use it most of the time and like it, I figure any little advantage is worth it.

That being said, I broke a lot of fish off this year due to 17lb Vicious. I don't think it had anything to do with it being 17lb vs 20lb either.

It don't make a bit of difference and is a big waste of money in my opinon. Just another gimic to catch fisherman not fish. If a fish doesn't care about your diver and flasher in front of your bait it certainly don't care about what kind of fishing line you have. There's way more important stuff to focus on than floro versus mono.

It's probably not going to make a difference fishing the mud or river. It might in the clear water. I use it most of the time and like it, I figure any little advantage is worth it.

That being said, I broke a lot of fish off this year due to 17lb Vicious. I don't think it had anything to do with it being 17lb vs 20lb either.

vicious is crap line in my opinion just as bad as berkly vanish. you really cant compare vicious to good flourocarbon line. i tried it when it first came out, and you wont ever see me buy it again.

it costs me a small fortune to just fish the big water, as i live a couple hundred miles from anywhere. so i figure if a few more $$$ can just help catch one more fish then its worth it to me. the price of everything from my boat and upkeep, to gas to get there, gas for my boat, rods and reels, spoons, worm harnesses, gps/depthfinder, and the list goes on. so if the few $$ i spend on a few feet of floro gives me piece of mind and nothing elce, its money well spent. i have lures that may never touch the water but my floro is there every time i fish. its not just line thats made to catch fisherman, its everything you buy for fishing. if you use something you believe in and use it, it will catch fish. 9 times out of 10 i,ll have my favorite lures out, and maby a couple of untried new ones. just my opinion. now go catch some fish.

sherman

vicious is crap line in my opinion

That's what I was trying to say without actually saying it. Not saying fluorocarbon in general is bad. I've had really good luck with Seaguar, and you can get it in bigger spools to save some money.

That's what I was trying to say without actually saying it. Not saying fluorocarbon in general is bad. I've had really good luck with Seaguar, and you can get it in bigger spools to save some money.

seaguar is also what i like to use. i tried vanish for awhile because it was cheaper to use. but i just didnt like it as well as seaguar leader. i had some brake offs that i didnt think should have broke with the vanish line. no problems at all with seaguar. good fishing to all, floro or knot,LOL.

sherman