Boat

GLF

We are about one week from closing on our other house. So. I have been looking at boats. We have two small childer (5 and 2) so I want something with a lot of room for them to play without having to worry about them being in the way. I found a boat that my wife and I like. It is a 1987 Sea Ray 270 Amberjack.

2BoatImage27318.jpg

195506085510_27318_1.jpg

195506085512_27318_2.jpg

I grabbed Dirty Dog and we went and looked at it yesterday. The port prop was chewed BAD! I started it dock side and shifted each drive into fwd and rev. The port drive did not feel like it wanted to engage properly when shifted to reverse. Possible shift cable out of adjustment??? While looking the boat over I found a spare prop.

I brought my wife and boys up there today to show them and take it for a ride. The prop was changed and it was time for the test ride. I backed it from the dock and I was soon on my way to the other end of Muskegon Lake and back. A nice boat ride later, I was idling back into the marina. As I was idling near the dock, I put both drives into neutral and then reverse to stop the boat. The starboard drive went into reverse and the port drive did nothing :eek: I put both levers in neutral and tried to shift the port drive into foreward. No vwd or reverse on the port drive :mad:

I am heading back up there tomorrow after work to take another look at it.

Any ideas?

If you changed the prop you know if it has outdrives or is an inboard. If it is an inboard, it has transmissions and I would have those looked at for sure. If it is a transmission it may be expensive to fix. It might be worth it to have a boat survey done.

I had this happen once on a boat. It was the coupler (female spline) on the flywheel that was bad and the engine had to be pulled to replace it. I think it cost over $1000 about 6 years ago - mostly labor. You will need to make sure the outdrive is lined up properly on the coupler or it could happen again. This alignment should be checked when the outdrive is put back on after yearly (yes it should be done each year!) maintenance. There is an alignment tool that the maintenance shops have or you might be able to purchase one if you service the outdrives yourself. If the male spline coupler at the end of drive shaft is hard to remove from the coupler on the flywheel, it may not be aligned properly.

Personally, on a twin engine boat, after having inboards engines I would never have outdrives again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The boat's mechanical's, stringers and transom were looked at by a marine service tech from Onekama.

We closed on our other house on Friday. I picked this boat up on Saturday.

This winter I will be pulling both out drives and replacing the engine coupler($250) on the one side and greasing the other. I will be installing new water pump impellers in both lower units also.

Boat.jpg

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

The big question is how are you going to set it up? Riggers, rod holders, fish finder, auto pilot, radar, rods, reels, lures? I'm sure Steve and the fishdog guys would be willing to help you out. Maybe they have payment plans?:D

I had Mercury Alpha drives on my Carver between 1990 and 2000. 12 months and three days later, the seal let loose between the gear lube and the bellows which cover the housing, causing all the lube to exit the lower unit. I didn't know this till the motor started seizing while under way. Luckily, I was near the harbor mouth and was able to allow it to cool till I got in my slip. The seal was bad, the yoke was purple, the gears we're purple and several nasty calls and $400.00 in parts, (1990) Mercury paid for the labor. After this we mounted a Mercury made clear plastic bottle which mounts to the transom in the engine compartment and runs a stainless braided line to the upper oil vent hole in the transom. A quick glance before you go out insures your filled and nothing is leaking.

A buddy of mine has an Amberjack just like it that I've fished out of many times. It's got to be one of the best riding and most fishable boats I've been on! The only other one I'd put in the same class is my brother-in-law's new Pursuit "Denali". But.. For that kind of money.. it better be nice. Best of luck with your new ride! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

After this we mounted a Mercury made clear plastic bottle which mounts to the transom in the engine compartment and runs a stainless braided line to the upper oil vent hole in the transom. A quick glance before you go out insures your filled and nothing is leaking.

Thanks for the tip!