Combat Fishing Definition Revised

Sounds like a good excuse next time a blue 30 some foot cruiser in Grand Haven is trolling 3.5 SOG in the dark, overtakes my vessel from behind, then crosses in front of me, then turns 180 degrees to cross in front of me again, :confused:then tries to swamp my boat after he pulls his lines while yelling at me that he has the right of way the whole time. :mad:Did I mention he is responsible for his wake too? :thumb:Good thing I'm not bitter. Your day will come my friend...big boats doesn't mean big brains...right of way or not, show some courtesy already...

http://www.gofishn.com/ned/reports/14046-navy-commander-opens-fire-on-fishing-boat-in-north-carolina

Never fails, seems to happen all too often. Whether it's another fishing boat, coming over after watching you land a fish or two, or some YAHOO cruising, thinking it's cool to get close enough to you so they can get a good view of the action happening on the boat. No brains, No headaches.

Even in the Middle of the Keewenaw Bay (Lake Superior) I had some Jack come all the way out (6 miles) and set up shop right next to me and basically troll on my tail all morning. He finally came up next to me and asked -- what's the trick out here? I responded -- getting off my ass would be a good start. Damn trolls.

Had a sailboat 3 weeks ago run 200 yrd across the front of the boat. we were on a south troll, he was headed west. went 300 yrd past us, did a 180 turn and was coming right back at us. I lay on the horn and yell out a few wtf's his way, my outside board was up againts the side of his boat, what a jacka$$. I guess he wanted my cell number off the board, but he never called.

What a yahoo. Even going slow he cant figure out whats goin on. :rolleyes:

I think i get just as upset at non fishermen as well. Just no commonsense/respect. So whats the penalty if i buy a paintball gun and put it to use?:diablo:

You're required to carry flares for emergencies. Isn't it an emergency when someone is about to 'crash' into you?

I was watching the Ludington web cam this morning. I guess some people do have the big boat / small boat mentality. I saw this jackwagon make 3 different boats turn abruptly to keep from colliding today. I have insurance too. It's give a little bit usually from both sides, but some people are just clueless.

we ran into the same thing out fishing ,I had boaters come up behind me and try to push me out of the way, all I do is slow down and see if they can pick up a lead core in the prop,And I have also had sail boat buzz me in the channel thinking because they are under sail they own the water well (I think you can not run under sail in the channel and over take a boat) I may be wrong but I would bet if he hits me he will have more then a boat to pay for ,it may also be a a-- kicken he will have to deal with.

luremaker

I have always used respect as a guide on the water. I just took a quick look at the web site to refresh my memory and now I know. It says that you must give way to a commercial fishing vessel. By the way, I charge everyone on my 16ft boat a fee so all you commercial fishing guys please give me the same respect that I give you.