Holland 9/6 Evening

Well, tonight I got the chance to fish with Nick (Paulywood) and his brother Eric. We set up in Lake Mac at around 6:30. We got one hit our first pass down the channel on a blue/white/black ladderback Ace hi 13 down on the rigger. After that it is hard to remember exactly what happened. We got two fish in the boat on a sliver/orange head #4 J-plug on the two color (yes, you read that right Ben'den Rods caught salmon on a J-plug :)). One came in the channel, on outside to the south of the piers. The second was pushing 20 lbs and was fun getting in the boat (from what I could tell Nick tried to gill it when the fish wrapped the hooks of the J-plug in the net then ended up just grabbing it behind the gills to get it in the boat :lol:)

We also took 4 or 5 hits on a Mag Green Splatter Silverstreak on a dipsey with no ring set on 3 20ft out on the wire. And let me tell you, they were SMASHING it. The first time we thought the line snapped the fish hit so hard and then was just gone. After that we hooked into them only to have them come off as soon as we started fighting them :confused: We may have also had a hit or 2 on mongolian beef.

There was funny stuff going on with the riggers where they were bouncin all over, not sure if fish were slapping at the baits or if they were running into the balls. Ended 2 for 7 or 8 with a sheephead in too. Anyway, fun was had by all and Nick and Eric are welcome aboard Ben'den Rods any time they want.

Thanks for taking us Ben, we had a good time. After Eric bent his net handle on the first fish I didn't want to risk it on the 2nd one, so I just grabbed it and threw it in the boat. The guys on the Sylvan watching us gave me a 10 for style points! The one dipsey hit actually rubberbanded the rod back so hard the diver came up out of the water on the aftershock. Nice to meet you Ben and good luck the rest of the season.

May want to change up to mono dipsies with those short let backs to absorb some of the shock.

Also I added a 2nd and 3rd net (river had net) to the mix to avoid having no net when the mayhem happens. J plug harnesses suck when they are embedded in the net. Sometimes pays just to cut off the plug and retie with new harness to get the rod back down asap and set the tangled net aside until you get a lull.

Ben had an extra net, the fish actually got the harness caught in the net and then twisted it up so I couldn't scoop it. Had to grab it and toss it in. And IMO wire is better in the channel, if you tangle with a pier guy or another boat, wire wins!

May want to change up to mono dipsies with those short let backs to absorb some of the shock.

Also I added a 2nd and 3rd net (river had net) to the mix to avoid having no net when the mayhem happens. J plug harnesses suck when they are embedded in the net. Sometimes pays just to cut off the plug and retie with new harness to get the rod back down asap and set the tangled net aside until you get a lull.

I'd go to mono, but I don't have any, only wire and powerpro. My powerpro rods are 10 ft which is longer than I want to run so I went with the wire. However, I run Blue Diamond rods, which are soft for wire rods and absorb the shock pretty well, they were just pissed off last night.