Leader # Test

I was going to put some 20# fluorocarbon on some copper and lead core rods, but then realized how vicious the fish are in August and September. Also, the factor of putting meat rigs and dodger and fly combos on them too.

Is 20# test enough or should I get 25# or 30#? Any advice is appreciated.

I use 30# on all my copper and 30# for my longer leads ie. 10 + color. My shorter leads all get 20#. With the shorter lead I feel you have some more give when the fish strikes with the board and I think the lighter leader helps with the high steelhead bites. Three years now running lead and have never had a break off due to only being 20#. But I do fish New Buffalo almost exclusively, and although the fishing is great here the port is not known for producing the 20+# kings on a basis like the northern ports.

Thanks for all the helpful info!!! I was thinking that the heavy pull of dodger and flies or a meat rig on a 250' or 300' Copper would be too strong for 20# test. It just looked to me like I was making tackle donation to the lake. I know using spoons and lighter lures on the 30# test affects their motion, so I was just curious if 30# was too much. Typically, I run about 30' of Fluoro leader. I've heard about 15' for flasher fly combos and 30 for spoons. Any thoughts?

I don't mean to disagree with people, but I do offer a different opinion.

I use 20# big game on my leaders and I am plenty happy with it (for 3 + years).

Just have to set the drags right and not muscle the fish into the boat.

I can see where the 30# would work for a more aggressive fish though.

However, 20# works too, you just have to use it differently.

I don't mean to disagree with people' date=' but I do offer a different opinion.

I use 20# big game on my leaders and I am plenty happy with it (for 3 + years).

Just have to set the drags right and not muscle the fish into the boat.

I can see where the 30# would work for a more aggressive fish though.

However, 20# works too, you just have to use it differently.[/quote']

I think it's mainly the fluoro guys who are going to 30lb test, and the main reason for that is because fluoro doesn't stretch like mono. Remember the copper and/or leadcore will not give much at all as far as stretch. If you are going to use fluoro, you need the extra beef to handle big fish. You can get away with 20 or 25 lb mono because it has a little give to it. Running 20lb fluoro and 20lb mono are not the same thing as far as strength IMO. Not to mention the action is different because of the densities of the line are different. I think you get more rise/fall action using mono leaders because it floats, whereas fluoro sinks and acts more like an extension of the copper/core.

After using a bunch of different combinations, we have settled on 25lb big game. I like the cushion it provides for each setup, and we haven't had any breakoff issues.

I have used 20 flouro and 20 big game. My two 225 coppers that i made up last week have 20 big game and i got most of my fish on those two rods last saturday. I do believe when the fish are shy that maybe flouro is a better option. i use both though with pretty equal success. I think until someone buys gamma and puts it back on the market i am going to stay with big game as my gamma supply is running low.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using braid (Power Pro) as a leader between the diver/snubber and the flasher? I've used this combo before with no issues.....until this last weekend, when I lost several flasher/fly setups.

Also, what is the most common leader length for the above setup?

20 pound big game on everything for me with no issues or breakoffs. I let em run if they wanna run though.

jeff z, on divers I usually go 7 feet on a f/f setup and 9 for a spoon. Thats on a small boat without an arch or anything over head to get in the way. I just back up a few feet and raise my arms to the moon and we dont have any trouble netting fish.