Big Jon Manual downriggers

I'm looking at buying my first downriggers and I'm looking at the Big Jon Gadabout riggers. I like the Idea that they are made In Michigan and the booms are made of aluminum verses the plastic on the Cannons, Although I have used the cannons on My boat with no problems. Are these decent riggers to start out with and What weight and shape balls should I get.

I used to have those. They came used with my boat. I ended up switching to Cannon manuals later. I had the handle break off the plastic reel. Also, the clutches were worn out and hard to hold the depth. But I think if you buy new and keep them maintained, they should last you awhile. From what I hear, Big Jon has great customer service, so if you do have a problem with them, I'm sure they would take care of you. Happy shopping!

Yeah big jons are comprised of aliminum everywhere,So try and unscrew one of their booms and watch the threads pull from the corrosion.I have 2 of each on my boat. Won't be for long though. I am done with big jons..Rattling floppy things imho

I have both on my boat and use the Big Jons most of the time , the only thing is I wish they were electric. It gets old cranking up the ball all the time. As far as the big jons for durability two seasons and no complains. Both riggers are solid and perform well.

Had my BJ for about 8 years with NO issues at all. Would buy again but next time they will be electric. Wondering why you are going with the gadabout instead of the captains pac. There's alot of used captains pac's for about the same price as the new gadabout? I run them as my corners, next out to the side dipsey, and than boards for a 6 rod set up.

Looks like a mixed bag of opinions on the BJ riggers. I think the gadabouts were cheaper than the captains pack, with the captains pack having more cable on the spool. Could be other differences I don't know about though as is usually the case when you get what you pay for. What would you guys recommend for weights?

If you take care of your equipment you won't have problems. It called preventative maintence. If you unscrew the booms and lubricate the booms once you won't have problems with corrosion. No matter what you pay for equipment if you take care of it. It will last forever. I use #10 & #12 lb round coated weights