boat crash in ludington

thursday night a boat ran full bore into north pier two guys hurt big rescue scene one guy had broken arm another had internal injuries quite a big deal i was cleaning fish when it happened all hell broke loose we got 10 for 16 on thursday they sure are big this year and real tuff fighters tear em up guys chrome j plug with red lipstick was hot even caught a steelie on it

Awe man thats aweful. I dont get why people dont learn from this. Happens every year it seems. Slow down in the dark, and get the proper equipment to navigate at night or dont go.

Nice job on the fish, cant wait to get back over there. Jonesin' bad for a screamin' drag!

Awe man thats aweful. I dont get why people dont learn from this. Happens every year it seems. Slow down in the dark, and get the proper equipment to navigate at night or dont go.

Nice job on the fish, cant wait to get back over there. Jonesin' bad for a screamin' drag!

Good job on the fish!

I have noticed that in St Joe the lights on the piers are not working and the south pier has no light on it at all. Another reason to slow down and pay attention to where u are at all times especially in the dark or Fog. Just because u have radar dont get on plane and try to run in the fog.

Nice job on the fish.

http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/60261-2-severely-injured-thursday-night-as-boat-hits-ludington-north-breakwater

2 severely injured Thursday night as boat hits Ludington north breakwater

LDN Staff -

Friday, September 2, 2011

70-year-old Richard Smith of Ludington and his 15-year-old boat passenger, Scottville, are being treated for severe injuries at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids after the boat Smith was driving hit the Ludington North Breakwater Thursday night.

Smith was transported by AeroMed helicopter and was listed in serious condition this morning. His passenger, Jeremiah McClellan, a student of Pentwater schools, was transported by ambulance and was listed in fair condition this morning.

The boat, a 1979 SlickCraft, was removed from the wall late this morning. It was west of the bend on the wall's north side.

The incident was called in to emergency personnel at 9:52 p.m.

This is a very unfortunate, avoidable incident. I was at Ludington 2 years ago when on a full moon night w/ no waves a boat got parked on the north pier. You should not be out there if you don't know where you are. I always put a stop sign icon on my gps out side the pier heads and I always follow a track in. I have 2 gps on my boat that are recording my track at all times. I came in after dark once when the fog was so thick I could not see the bow of my boat. It would have not been good if it wasn't for my gps. I never run blind, after dark I'm on a cushion on the seat looking over the windsheild and I'll go as slow as it takes to see what is in front of me. Please be careful out there!

They usually hit the South pier at Ludington.

Really, outta the 8 ive seen on there theyve all been on the north peir half way down it. Probably running back from the big point to the boat ramp.

Thanks for the link Ed. I sure hope theyre ok. That tragic crash in Manistee last year was aweful. Its bad enough getting hurt and ruining the boat, let alone losing your life. Hopefully he can pull through.

I caught a guy that I was a guest on his boat in manistee 2 years ago use the GOTO Nearsest waypoint. option on his H bird when we were heading in at night. About half way in I was playing with the mapping and noticed that the nearest waypoint was inside the pier heads at the ramp. Instead of the WP he set 1/4 mile outside on our way out. Our track line cut right across the the south pier. Having seen that I can see how you can get into problems. That being said I see way to many people overdriving the conditions in low light.

was out there last night,[ludington] after dark,and a lot of boats just go too fast to be safe when approaching the pier heads,and i'm surprised this unfortunate thing does'nt happen more often.SAFETY FIRST PEOPLE!LETS HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE ON OUR TIME OUT RECREATING.

I have slipped a boat in lundington for over 30 years and it is a rare year to not see at least one boat crash into the break walls. It always boils down to operator error and amazes me that people fail to understand the basic laws of navigation with the one of when traveling in conditions of limited visibilty ex. fog ,nighttime to reduce speed accordingly , hopefully all parties involved recover .