Line for rigger rods?

Maxum

I am looking to respool my down rigger rods. Currently I have 17# Big Game on most of them and have lost a few fish lately after my line has broken. I have tried Spiderwire on one but always have trouble with it staying in the clips.

Suggestions? What have you found reliable?

I use 20 lb Big game and have never been broken off with it. I make sure to check the line for frays as I let it out every time and make sure to cut right away if I find one. I have a couple reels spooled with 12 lb berkly that I was going to use for running spoons this year but didn't have any problems catching fish. I'll probably make them SWR rigs.

20# big game. It don't matter what line you use, every once in a while it's gonna break. You can't find all the knicks and cuts so don't think big game is your problem.

What he said...

But as has been mentioned, it's fairly cheap, so don't let it get too old. I had some reels with the line going on 3rd season, two of them broke off with no load on them. The tackle I lost cost more than a 2600 yd spool of the big game.

Actually had my first break off ever today on my rigger with 20lb big game, but it was due to horsing the fish too much and having the drag too tight. Still sucks losing 15 bucks worth of gear, especially when you don't have multiples :(