Salmon fishing equipment

I am looking at a boat to use for Salmon fishing that I would need to outfit with downriggers, poles, lures, planer boards, etc and thought I would see what I could find used before spending the money on new equipment. Not even sure of all that I would need as I have never set up a boat before, just been out trying to learn from my brother.

I know there is a set of Big Jon Brutes (downriggers) for sale here on this site for $350 each. You will NOT find a better deal on some excellent riggers.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. I had looked at those and realize they are much cheaper than new ones. I will do some research to see if these offer enough of an advantage over the Walkers that my brother has which are less expensive new. Not saying they are not a good deal, just not sure if they might not be overkill for a newbie.

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. I had looked at those and realize they are much cheaper than new ones. I will do some research to see if these offer enough of an advantage over the Walkers that my brother has which are less expensive new. Not saying they are not a good deal, just not sure if they might not be overkill for a newbie.

Welcome to the website Greg. The brutes might be a little over kill for you.

I have Brutes. They are an awesome rigger but they are fast and might cause a beginner more headache than it is worth. Walkers are ok but they struggle with 12 lb balls. Someday you will want to fish deep, I would recommend big jon captains packs or cannon mag 10. Good luck.

I know of a killer deal at the barber shop near my home. 2 Big Jon Electrics with dual rod holders, swivel bases and ball cradles, a set of big jon rail mount planer reels, 2 Big Jon Planer Boards, 2 rods and reel combos(reels are low end okumas, not sure what make rods are) 2 tru track pancake weights, looked like 8#ers, and a small tackle box with baits(contents i didnt look at). $600 for the whole shebang. IMO, it is one hell of a deal. Barber said its been sitting there for a month. If your interested shoot me a PM and ill get you the location.

I know of a killer deal at the barber shop near my home. 2 Big Jon Electrics with dual rod holders, swivel bases and ball cradles, a set of big jon rail mount planer reels, 2 Big Jon Planer Boards, 2 rods and reel combos(reels are low end okumas, not sure what make rods are) 2 tru track pancake weights, looked like 8#ers, and a small tackle box with baits(contents i didnt look at). $600 for the whole shebang. IMO, it is one hell of a deal. Barber said its been sitting there for a month. If your interested shoot me a PM and ill get you the location.

Thanks Adam, picked them up yesterday.

Or you can just buy a boat already set up and I can show you how to use it. wink wink.

Looks like a nice boat. I am buying a 25' Grady White that is pretty well set up except for downriggers (used for Walleye on Saginaw Bay). Need poles and tackle but that seems to be the case with all the boats for sale.