Tackle shop inventory

ekbelt

Don't you hate it when you drive all the way to the tackle shop and they don't have what you need in stock?

I know its the height of the season and demand is high, but from a tackle shop owner wouldn't that mean its also the best time to cash in?

I guess that's why I do most of my shopping online...

I worked in outdoors retail for a long time before finally going back to school to sit in front of a monitor all day. Your logic is correct for a buyers view It is the peak season that will be ending in just a few short weeks for most. But there is hunting season that is just starting to wind up in a few weeks, actually 15 days to be exact. The problem comes from to much stuff to carry for most stores and not enough room to stock it all all the time. So they sell down a few weeks before the next season which in salmon fishing is right during peak season. If these stores don't get fishing equipment minimized and hunting gear out then they start loosing sales to other stores that have done just that. Even if it is a specialty fishing store Fishing is ending in just a few weeks for most and why oreder a bunch of stuff to have the overhead. Then when the new stuff comes out in jan nad feb they have to sell stuff at a loss to make room for new stuff coming in. I do understand your frustration as i was looking for a couple things also. but you know what i start hunting and going up north in a couple weeks and wont see my boat again till after december deer hunting is done.

Just too jump in , I agree with Aaron , as a supplier of spoons and flies I would love to build and sell all year long to the stores ,but as Aaron said there is a cut off point where the stores have to change there stock over for the next season (hunting) Most of the stores ramp up the orders as best as they can ,but only if they can sell it ,the few that consign with the tackle manufacturer hold more items knowing what dose not sell can go back at no cost to them or the store.

I have had people call me and ask if I still have something in stock or can it be made and if they could buy it from me, I have done this only if the stores that I work with are out and are not going to reorder for the season. You may want to call and see if you can get what your looking for ,at least you may get some info on what stores may still have that item.

luremaker

I know it kind of sucks when you need/want something but the replies hit the nail on the head. I always spend most of my tackle money early in the year so I can use the stuff all season. Now that it's down the stretch and my bank account is low from fishing every weekend, I'll make a list and hold off buying until next winter/spring. I rarely spend any money on tackle at the end of August.

Nows the time to buy bullets;)

Don't you hate it when you drive all the way to the tackle shop and they don't have what you need in stock?

I know its the height of the season and demand is high, but from a tackle shop owner wouldn't that mean its also the best time to cash in?

I guess that's why I do most of my shopping online...

What do you need? I'll be in Holland tonight around 6pm and might be able to find it on the way for ya.

I know it kind of sucks when you need/want something but the replies hit the nail on the head. I always spend most of my tackle money early in the year so I can use the stuff all season. Now that it's down the stretch and my bank account is low from fishing every weekend, I'll make a list and hold off buying until next winter/spring. I rarely spend any money on tackle at the end of August.

Nows the time to buy bullets;)

Buy bullets, i have to get busy and start loading bullets.

Already found em at a differnet shop. Lost a cannon ball on Monday (don't ask for the details... :no:) and need to get a new 14lb cannon ball, blacks release, and tru-track terminator clip. Couldn't find the tru-tracks anywhere. I found Mac Baits had 2 in stock today so I went down and picked both of them up.

I just wish someone would tell the tackle shops when the Fishing season STARTs!. :mad: The typical "expecting a shipment end of April" doesn't cut it in my book. IMO, shops should be stocked & sites should be on-line with the new designs & lake stuff no later than the first week of March.

Seriously, Mid/end of Feb & we're getting our gear in shape & many guys want to hit the water right after ice-out.

Already found em at a differnet shop. Lost a cannon ball on Monday (don't ask for the details... :no:) and need to get a new 14lb cannon ball, blacks release, and tru-track terminator clip. Couldn't find the tru-tracks anywhere. I found Mac Baits had 2 in stock today so I went down and picked both of them up.

Instead of a Black's, give a Chamberlain a try. You won't be disappointed.

Ed

You are correct,as a small family owned tackle mfr we try our best to set everyone up with a set number of spoon and flies Our number is 6 per peg ,and we try to spread out our stock so that every shop that we deal with gets something, and not just loading up one store nothing to the rest.

We will spend most of our winter building what we hope will still be hot and along with new patterns that we hope to take off for the next season.

Not to sob but you have to understand that not only do we pay taxes every quarter on sale but we pay taxes on finish and raw good down to the paint and packaging, so to keep a large inventory at the end of the year is a killer,so we keep our finish good down (cheaper) till the first of the year.And we ramp up as fast as we can.And to start a new store in the spring can take anywhere from 400-600 spoon and the same in flies.

Don't get me wrong I love what I do as a mfr and hope some day to make this a full time job, but I also have to work a real job to support my family. I can say I see it both sides I once was that guy unhappy when I couldn't find that one spoon or flies only to hear it's on order. Can we a mfr do better ,SURE ,but we try our best to get better on every order.

luremaker

• 4 weeks later...

The list could go on and on the big name stores must think that the only fish in the lake or river are bass and bluegills. That is fine for the bass fisherman as there are bass lures up the wazoo in all of these stores. Try to find a decent selection of salmon or trout lures and if you are getting right down to it in the fall most of them are out of spawn wrap or the best steelhead lures. Anymore I take $100 bucks every month and go to a tackle shop that I know will be well supplied. The price might be a little bit higher, but I find what I need.