Cannonball color?

In the past I have always used black coated cannonballs. I've also used orange and lime green. Cannonballs were 10# ers. I have just poured four 12# keel type weights and have them primed white. I tried them with just the white primer and didn't take a hit. What, if any, preference to you use. and does color make any difference? I'm leaning toward just painting them gloss black. Any input would be appreciated.

Duane

i have always been more comfortable with black too. If it has fins on it you could try different color tapes on the side and see if they preffer some added flash. I would think you could add these on the water if you wanted to change up the color on the fly.

My thought on this is the same i feel about divers. My favorite colors are black, black, and black. My belief is that black creates a "stealthier" look to your setup and takes the ball (or diver) more so out of the equation then color or crome. For me, its sole purpose is deployment and not attraction. What i put on the end of that line is to catch fish. Simplifying will give you one less thing you have to worry about and more time making adjustments at the end of your line. Do i think colors have there day? of course they do. im sure everyday you can find a color that works better then black but the time spent searching for the right combo between downrigger ball and bait i feel is wasted fishing time. It seems to be easier to concentrate more on what your feeding them then some magic combo between the two. Start with black, it should always be your mainstay.

I dont think it matters personally. Ive done well on anything from plain lead, black, green, orange, chrome, shiny reflector tape, no tape, coated non coated. As mentioned above, its a delievery devise, not the main attraction.

Coated black is my preference though if i had to choose one. I agree with the above, its the delivery devise, not the main event. So, having them look at what you want them to bite isnt a bad thing.

Interesting subject to be sure, not really sure, I've used the standard True Track blacks for so long, haven't noticed. I did use greens and oranges years ago, the heavier 12-14# I wanted were black from factory, never thought about repainting them, always worked. Here's another suggestion, I have one, 10# ball, TT mfr, that has the big magnet in it, it surely does seem to give that ion effect to attract more fish for me. Anyone know where to get one of those anymore? Thanks.