Pre Dawn / Sun

I have noticed this year more than any other year that the pre dawn bite has been really slow. Last few years Come late June and forward the best bite times were 3am-8am. This year the bite after sun up been a lot better. I am also noticing that pro kings are way out fishing moonshines. Anyone else seeing better results sun up vs. pre dawn.

Going forward the boat isn't going to leave the dock until 5:30am

Around Racine the fish have not been coming in near shore like they usually do pre-dawn this time of year. I have a feeling the altered pattern may have something to do with it, but i am by no means a fish biologist.

Your Moonshine vs Pro King success may have something to do with the bite pattern. I am not saying Moonshine spoons do not work during sunlight but I think they really "shine" during low light conditions. Pro Kings, depending on the pattern of course, are very productive spoons during the day and especially bright sunny days.

Our early AM bite has been brutal this year...up until this weekend. Absolutely crazy bite going on right now out there, but the fish are concentrated in small pockets so you have to stay on them in the dark.

A lot more fun catching them when you can see them in daylight IMO. Not sure why anyone would want to fish in the dark??

For my schedule, it works better to get on the water at 3:00 AM and fish until noon than start at 6:00 AM and fish until 3:00 PM. The other thing is I can fish where I want to and not where the 6,000,000,000,000 other boats force me to!

This year, albeit only fishing a few times, I agree the dark bite hasn't been there like it was the last few years. In fact the dawn bite has been behind the mid-morning bite all the way around for us. Most of our fish are coming between 8:30 and 10:30 this year.

A lot more fun catching them when you can see them in daylight IMO. Not sure why anyone would want to fish in the dark??

Copy that! I'm up right now to go fishing and don't like it at all! I prefer my 8am just got done working at the fire house charters.

Everyday can be a bit different, depending on the time of year, the moon cycle, temperature, wind, and barometer changes, all play into the factor of early/late bites. Of course the other important factor is the pressure on the fish, I don't care to start in a wolf pack of boats where pressure scatters them quickly.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the times I have been out (which have not been enough) I have experienced much of the same. We get everything down, and the fish are on the graph and we are all positioned (knees bend) to jump on a rod. And NOTHING. The after monring bite has produced much better.

Weird.