knife sharpening

Dave I suck at it to. I bought a 12", and a 6" Black Forest custom fillet knives from a local knife maker about three years ago. I am amazed at how many fish they can do before needing touch up. Black Forest will sharpen them for free, lifetime. Maybe you have a custom knife maker in your area? Lots of times they sharpen for free, hoping you'll buy a knife someday. I have a 4" fillet on order for those Simcoe perch.

I used to work at a processing plant and can show you the tricks to getting/keeping an edge

for the record - a steel does not sharpen ! It merely delays (but only slightly) the time till the edge is beyond safe and efficient use

My wife bought me a Cutco knife and its so sharp I just nicked my finger and fillet the side of it right off . Didn't even know it until I saw the blood. Free sharpening for life, just have to send it in.

A good deal if you ask me.

Just dont' cut off your fingers

Listen to Bruce/Pitmaster, he's on cue for an economical and vastly improved/easy way to sharpen any knife. I too bought the electric fancy $200 Cabela sharpener 10 years ago for at home usage. Trouble is, it's at home, not on the boat/in the truck. There are also several other copy cats to AccuSharp now available that also are cheaper and work well. If you like your knife razor sharpened in a hurry/easily, follow Bruce's advice, it's great. It's the diamond abrasives that tend to impress me. And many thanks Bruce.