fishhawk or gps speed?

The fishhawk speed and gps speed may never be the same. You have to take into account the direction the water is moving along with the direction the boat is moving. Going into the water current will give you a faster fishhawk reading and a slower gps reading. Going with the current will give you a slower fishhawk speed and a faster gps speed.

This is why speed at the ball is so important.

Expierenced fishing can tell how fast the boat is going by the bend in their diver rod.

You can calibrate the fishhawk speed to gps speed, but you should do this on an inland lake with no current.

The only speed that matters is your speed at the ball. But also keep in mind that can change too. For example current direction has a huge role in your trolling speed. I know alot of guys say watch your rods bend or the tips thump if fishing flashers, but if you have some lines above the thermocline and others in and below you can bet your speed is different at different depths. So if your high diver is cranked over and your probe rigger is above the thermcline, and you are trolling with the current, your speed might say 2.2. Now if you drop that probe rigger into the thermocline and current it might say 1.6. big difference in speed. If you check your speed high and low you will see this alot on strong current days. Thats why alot of guys struggle when the current is ripping, only half your baits are trolling at the right speed. For me, my speed, trolling direction, and how my spread looks are the most important part of the game. I've been using the same baits since early May and their catching fish consistantly each trip, but I think it has more to do with the above mentioned.

Depending on the situation all three speed indicators can be important. GPS speed is more important if you are comparing speed and direction to another boat because gps speed on one boat will be the same on another boat. With probes and surface speed each unit may vary from one unit to the next. Your probe and surface speed will allow you to duplicate lure speed at any direction. Weather or not your fishhawk is the same as your gps doesn't matter, the important thing is being able to duplicate that productive speed.