Another slider Question

Fished with free sliders for the 1st time last night. Dumb question but when a fish hits the slider does the rod start bouncing in the rod holder like it does when it hits the main line? Is it suppose to release from the ball as soon as it hits? As I was marking a school of bait fish last night the rod started to "jiggle" not really bounce and wasnt sure if a fish was hitting the slider or maybe the bait hitting the line?

Great night on the water. Fished solo and landed my biggest king to date- 14.1#'s

Thanks, Dave

Fished with free sliders for the 1st time last night. Dumb question but when a fish hits the slider does the rod start bouncing in the rod holder like it does when it hits the main line? Is it suppose to release from the ball as soon as it hits? As I was marking a school of bait fish last night the rod started to "jiggle" not really bounce and wasnt sure if a fish was hitting the slider or maybe the bait hitting the line?

Great night on the water. Fished solo and landed my biggest king to date- 14.1#'s

Thanks, Dave

The only dumb question is the one u dont ask! Yes the rod will bounce hard, and u need to then release the rod and reel like h e double hockey sticks to take up the slack. I use rubber bands for releases and we get alot of rod movement which enables us to get to the rod and catch up with the fish.

Thick bait will make the lines dance. If it's bumpy out you may not see it. Also, if you pull lures through that, it's not uncommon to snag bait on the hooks, which takes the lures out of action.

On a free slider, pop the release, slam the rod back in the holder and reel like mad. You can gain line way faster reeling in the holder than you will holding the rod in your hand. In fact do this on any release-we set our rods to favor right handed people - had two hits last trip where the rod just stood up like no one was home - ran to the rod and reeled like mad, in both cases the rod loaded up, one with the fish only about 20' behind the boat.

I have been having super good luck with sliders in the finger lakes this season. I have used fixed sliders with some luck but mostly free line. Do you guys clip free sliders on while sending the ball down or after it is all set? On the back of my boat I have almost gone in the drink trying to get a slider clipped on the mainline, because the lines are tight in the release. Wear a PFD!!! but its still worth the extra fish.

Just let out some slack, and bring the rod into a safe place. Then hook the line on and toss it off to one side, it will swing around and behind the mainline.

Then put the rod back in the holder and suck up the slack, sure it takes 20 seconds but if your in the right state thats a free line, and if you can only run so many lines thats an easy way to add a line easily with no extra tackle, rod holders, etc.

Yep, release and reel like hell. Been using the Elberta Clippers in both free and fixed and love them. Lots easier to remove from the line and no rubber band stuck ont he line to get hung on the reel or in the guides when your fixing them and have a fish on the main.