Milwaukee 08/13 - Brew City

When the call came out at 5:30am to release the boats, I hung out while the majority took off north , and after the remaining boats headed south. I petered due east. All by lonesome I petered out due east of the north gap with a little south in the troll. Set up in about 65 FOW, once we got the call at 6am, we quickly got the lines set. Was welded down for a bit but finally starting picking at the fish. I kept a rigger down deep hoping to pick up a big greaser but that didn’t happen. I had some luck yesterday in 210FOW and trolled out to my waypoint. That’s when the fun started. I trolled back and forth of 210-265 basically due east of the main gap. The hot lure again was the rotten banana with green ladderback; the raspberry ladder also caught fire.

5 color and riggers did the best. Pounded rainbows and kings in the deeper water, basically had the whole area to myself. My biggest rainbow was 11.5 pounds; biggest king was only 16 pounds. I finished 14-2??? I was the victim of breakoffs today lost a bunch of lures.

I picked 10 good ones from the box and weighed in 79.90 pounds which was good enough for 13th out of 125 boats. Not too shabby, got a huge chunk of hard salami and a check coming for $156. I spoke with some folks who did not go very well, looks like north was not the place to go. Biggest king was less than 21 pounds. 109 pounds won the whole kit and caboodle. Last year I had 41 pounds for 49th place, I am beginning to think I am figuring this salmon fishing out.

Had a blast and did pretty well out there. I went out there with a plan and I stuck with the plan and was rewarded. I purposely pulled lines at 14 fish, figured I would leave something out there for next time.

nice job on the tourney, I was on the welcoming boat on the way in after all the rain.

Seems like every one waited until the last minute to run in . Saw your name on the board and you did do very well . Congrats

If I didnt work every tuesday I would join the club, seems like a lot of really nice guys but the job seems to get in the way with a lot of things. I was pretty surprised at the low catch numbers, I know a lot of guys stayed in shallower water thinking the big kings were there. I caught two kings in the teen's range out deep, the fish seem to just be stacked out there. 200FOW+ is my bread and butter, I dont worry about the fuel costs to get out there I just want to be on the fish.

If I didnt work every tuesday I would join the club, seems like a lot of really nice guys but the job seems to get in the way with a lot of things. I was pretty surprised at the low catch numbers, I know a lot of guys stayed in shallower water thinking the big kings were there. I caught two kings in the teen's range out deep, the fish seem to just be stacked out there. 200FOW+ is my bread and butter, I dont worry about the fuel costs to get out there I just want to be on the fish.

The fish were in shallow on friday but after the wind on friday night it changed alot. The fish scattered and if you landed on them Saturday morning you did well, but it changed for everyone. Their were some MONSTER coolers friday. We caught 30 fish friday morning without much effort but Saturday we only caught about 15. Shoulda kept a few of those 6 pounders we tossed back hoping for the same results as friday. Only weighed in 8 fish for 81 pounds. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, everyones got a story though.

Here is my thinking on tourney fishing. Every fish you caught Friday was one less fish to catch Saturday. If you make a couple of passes through a spot and clear out the fish come Saturday what's left? I normally go out of the way to avoid packs of boats too. I think the fishing pressure and boat traffic scatter fish as well. I don't mind being by myself boxing fish.